Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-15-2013, 09:35 AM   #1
JOATMON

Share |

Vert or Horz?

I know it's been asked before....but slightly different situation here.

Wall is 9' high....18' long.

If I go horz....I'm going to have 54' of the easy joints....you know where the beveled edge of the drywall sheet gives you plenty of depth for tape and mud....this includes the 1' wide strip of drywall at the bottom of the wall.

I will also end up with 3 butt joints which are a real PIA to tape and mud compared to the sides.

If I install the sheets vert...I end up with 36' of those nice drywall seams....that's assuming all my sheets fall exactly on 4' spacing (I'm pretty sure I got all my stud spacing correct)....and I would have NO butt joints.

The vert method will result in more waste...but...after doing the first 2 rooms...the cost of the drywall is NOTHING compared to the labor involved trying to clean up the seams. I am now a big believer in the "Your sheet of drywall can never be big enough)...screw holes are a lot easier to mud than butt joints.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:14 PM   #2
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Vert or Horz?

Use "Butt Boards".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGjaGfeS4ss

Last edited by Willie T; 08-15-2013 at 12:17 PM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Willie T For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (08-15-2013)
Old 08-15-2013, 01:32 PM   #3

Vert or Horz?

I followed Willies's advice and built my own butt boards for a ceiling. Like you, I was adverse to using butt boards unless absolutely necessary. This was necessary as the ceiling was greater than 12' x 12'. It turned out OK, you can not tell where I added them.

If you use them, the only piece of advice I would add is to start all the drywall screws along the butt board and pull them up tight evenly, taking turns on each one.

B
Beepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:42 PM   #4

Vert or Horz?

ooops
Beepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:59 PM   #5

Vert or Horz?

I would get 4' x 9' sheets and go vertical on that wall. You'll have almost no waste and all easy joints.
SquishyBall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SquishyBall For This Useful Post:
princelake (08-15-2013)
Old 08-15-2013, 02:36 PM   #6
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Vert or Horz?

Get used to Butt Boards, and you will never fear another butt joint.... They just no longer are a problem.

But do check with your AHJ.... some of the old inspectors balk at new things.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:51 PM   #7
JOATMON

Vert or Horz?

Where do you get them?

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
Old 08-15-2013, 02:57 PM   #8
Old School

Vert or Horz?

Some lumber stores carry them.... or the video I posted should direct you. I make mine from cheap 1/2" CDX plywood and cardboard.

PH: 800-874-2333
FAX: 800-644-0216

www.trim-tex.com
info@trim-tex.com

Last edited by Willie T; 08-15-2013 at 03:01 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:51 PM   #9

Vert or Horz?

use 54"x12' boards horizontal and I have found not worth the aggravation to make, just buy mine from Trim Tex. Have 2 boxes out in the garage now. Can buy online or at local drywall supplier. Have never seen them in big box store.
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:45 PM   #10

Vert or Horz?

Max drywall length is 16', so you can't be helped there. Install vertically with 9' long drywall, or install horizontally with 54" wide drywall. Don't mess with the extra 1' strip.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:27 AM   #11

Vert or Horz?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
I know it's been asked before....but slightly different situation here.

Wall is 9' high....18' long.

If I go horz....I'm going to have 54' of the easy joints....you know where the beveled edge of the drywall sheet gives you plenty of depth for tape and mud....this includes the 1' wide strip of drywall at the bottom of the wall.

I will also end up with 3 butt joints which are a real PIA to tape and mud compared to the sides.

If I install the sheets vert...I end up with 36' of those nice drywall seams....that's assuming all my sheets fall exactly on 4' spacing (I'm pretty sure I got all my stud spacing correct)....and I would have NO butt joints.

The vert method will result in more waste...but...after doing the first 2 rooms...the cost of the drywall is NOTHING compared to the labor involved trying to clean up the seams. I am now a big believer in the "Your sheet of drywall can never be big enough)...screw holes are a lot easier to mud than butt joints.
If you buy sheetrock that is 54" x 16' you will have one seam to tape! Going horizontal. Just saying work smarter not harder.

Last edited by Nailbags; 08-19-2013 at 08:29 AM.
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:40 PM   #12

Vert or Horz?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailbags View Post
If you buy sheetrock that is 54" x 16' you will have one seam to tape! Going horizontal. Just saying work smarter not harder.
18' walls = butt joints with horizontal.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:55 AM   #13

Vert or Horz?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnc View Post
18' walls = butt joints with horizontal.
Not if you use a butt board. Apparently you never used them? Still one seam= less mud less tape less hassle one butt board = zero problems. Smart work not hard work.
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:04 AM   #14

Vert or Horz?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailbags View Post
Not if you use a butt board. Apparently you never used them?
I've used Butt Boards, Rock Splicers, EZ Backers, and homemade back blockers. Call the joint whatever you want, you said if you use 16' drywall he'd only have 1 seam, and no matter how you look at it, it's not true.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:57 AM   #15
JOATMON

Vert or Horz?

Thanks for all the input guys.....

I'm faced with a few logistic issues....one of them being that my wife 'struggles' to help me lift the 12' sheets. 1/2" is not too bad....but them 5/8" jobs....well....lets just say I had to have a friend come over yesterday to help me carry 6 sheets of 4x12 up the stairs......

Each day I gain a new appreciation what drywallers.....but an 'appreciation' that is more than my wallet.....

On a positive note....my $125 drywall lift that I got off CL is more than paying for itself.....