Vent Covers Falling Out Of Wall - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-01-2013, 12:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

vent covers falling out of wall

In a few rooms of our new home, the vent covers for the heating system were attached with screws directly into the drywall. As you can imagine, with time the pressure exerted from opening/closing the covers worked the screws loose and now several of the covers will easily pop out of the wall.

Any ideas on how I can best secure the vent covers to the wall or duct? There does not appear to be any metal flaring out from the duct opening for the screws to hold onto, like I would expect based on the newer homes I'd owned previously. In a few of the rooms I'd like to keep the vents closed, but the air pressure will pop them out of the opening without any kind of anchoring holding them there.

I'm attaching some pictures of one of the vent openings as an example.

Thanks,
Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
vent covers falling out of wall-photo-1.jpg   vent covers falling out of wall-photo-2.jpg  

Advertisement

jeffzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:54 PM   #2
DIY Enthusiast

Rewards Points: 500

Put some small scrap pieces of wood inside the vent. Secure it with screws. Put screws close enough to opening so the vent will conceal them when installed.

Advertisement

sublime2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublime2 View Post
Put some small scrap pieces of wood inside the vent. Secure it with screws. Put screws close enough to opening so the vent will conceal them when installed.
I'm not sure I follow? The screw holes in the vent cover line up to be outside the vent.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:06 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 526

There are some sort of drywall anchors that when you tighten down the first time the part of the body inside the walls collapses down so that you are able to unscrew and screw back in again. Not sure the name. Go to one of the big box stores or your local hardware store and see what you can find.

B
Beepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beepster View Post
There are some sort of drywall anchors that when you tighten down the first time the part of the body inside the walls collapses down so that you are able to unscrew and screw back in again. Not sure the name. Go to one of the big box stores or your local hardware store and see what you can find.

B
You mean like a winged plastic or hollow wall anchor? I thought about those, except the material inside the drywall where these holes are has mostly crumbled away. There's nothing much left for an anchor to anchor to, and one of the kinds that expands and presses against the back of the wall would likely just crush its way through the paper backing and just make a large hole.

I've thought about setting an anchor in place by hand, then trying to push a bunch of drywall mud or something in there and wait for it to harden, but I don't know if that's a half-assed way to go about it.

Jeff
Old 03-01-2013, 04:01 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 632

Sure the screws they used where just not to short?
They needed to go thorugh the sheetrock and into the sheetmetal in a predrilled hole for the screw, using sheet metal screws.
And your right no form of cheap plastic anchor or trying to "fill it" is going to work.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:22 PM   #7
DIY Enthusiast

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffzap View Post

I'm not sure I follow? The screw holes in the vent cover line up to be outside the vent.
The screws you use to secure the wood, put them in close to the opening so when you install the cover it hides the screws. The screws for the vent will then screw into the wood.
sublime2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Sure the screws they used where just not to short?
They needed to go thorugh the sheetrock and into the sheetmetal in a predrilled hole for the screw, using sheet metal screws.
And your right no form of cheap plastic anchor or trying to "fill it" is going to work.
I can't believe I didn't think of this, but you're dead on. The around 1" long screws used weren't long enough. I picked up some 1 3/4" and 2 1/4" sheet metal screws and probed in there and found (what I hope are) holes to grab into. Fixed the 2 vent covers that were falling out of the wall this way.

Thanks!

Advertisement