Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-06-2011, 11:59 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

A Variety of Damage to the Walls... Newbie Needs Advice

OK... I apologize if I should have posted this in the 'drywall' section. I'm new here (and to DIY-ing) and believe that this question is so basic that it would get buried under more important ones. Also, I'm a bit wordy... sorry for that, too.

So I'm having new floors installed and told the contractor that I would get some or most of the demo done prior to his arrival. Loved doing that, of course, but it also sparked an interest in doing as much as I can on my own.

But I digress.....

As I took off the baseboard moulding in one of the bathrooms, paint peeled away from the wall. I was curious why it peeled in the manner that it did ---very large, "rubbery" pieces--- and the brown paper on the drywall was breached in many locations. Some large some small.
The plan was to sand/prime/paint the walls anyway but this paint is so weird and rubbery that I didn't just want to pile on another coat of something else.

I tried to scrape the paint gently and just made matters worse.

Also, I managed to make a few holes in the process.

You might be tempted to tell me not to do anything in the house ever again. I wouldn't blame you and maybe you're right . But I really want to learn. I followed someone's advice for the moulding removal. No problem. Well, I may have executed it too violently, I guess, or the paint wouldn't have torn away from the wall so. Then I followed that up with messing with the peely-paint problem before learning why that happened and what to do about it.

Now I'm getting conflicting information on how to fix it, but here's the gist of it:

1. Gardz
2. Spackle
3. Joint Compound
4. Scrape
5. repeat JC and scraping twice more
6. sand
7. prime
8. paint

Does that sound like the right order in which to try and repair my mess?
Should I try and sand the horrid paint that is still on the walls?
Should I tear the whole mess down and put up new drywall?
Should I move?

I swear... I'm a relatively intelligent person who just got too eager. Advice will be followed and subsequent issues (if any) will be addressed before proceeding.

Thanks for your help, advice... gentle criticisms....

Kind Regards,
Sile

Sile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 12:20 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,064

I assume this house is pretty old? I've owned houses built as far back as 1948 and have never seen brown drywall.

Don't worry about being a newbie. We all were at one time. I was, in 1976. Having remodeled nine houses and built my current one with only my wife's help, I guess I don't qualify anymore. But to your questions/issues:

1. When removing baseboards, you can prevent the paint from peeling off the wall by running a utility knive across the top of the baseboard.

2. I would not sand any of the paint. Chances are it is old (pre-1976 or so) and contains lead. Inhaling lead dust is a very bad thing, healthwise.

3. Is the floor tiled (linoleum)? If so, I wouldn't mess with that either. The tiles and/or mastic may contain asbestos. Another very bad thing. And if proven, a very expensive abatement.

What I would do, and have done two or three times, is gut the room and put up new drywall. It isn't that difficult, though it is a bit messy.

Do you have a permit for this work? Some locations don't require them, but most do.

md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 01:05 PM   #3

Thaks for the words of wisdom, md2lgyk, and -WOW- you built you're house? IMPRESSIVE! I certainly appreciate your experience!

The house (it's a condo, actually) was built in 1998; remodeling is OK as long as nothing is done to alter the "main structure" of the house (opening up a wall is fine as long as it's not load bearing).

It's not that the drywall is brown... I peeled the paint down to the drywall's layer of brown paper. Some of the drywall was intact following the paint removal. I was advised not to sand the brown paper as it would make it "fuzzy," leaving me in a quandry as to what to do next.

Fuzzy and rubbery walls... it's like I live in a cartoon house.

Can't sand, shouldn't peel... so confusing.

The floors are vinyl... most of it pulled away pretty easily and the rest I planned to cut areas with a utility knife. More advice received from the WWW.

Someone did tell me that the first coat of paint used was either such poor quality or too much time elapsed between priming and painting. And poor wall prep. That was mentioned, too. This crazy rubber-paint is not happening in every room. Just one of the bathrooms.

Does that make any sense?

Thanks again!
Old 09-06-2011, 04:26 PM   #4
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,114

Take a picture.
Sounds to me like you may have pulled the outer paper.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:05 PM   #5

Well, if your place was built in 1998, there's surely no lead paint or asbestos. Both were outlawed long before that. As for the paint, latex sometimes looks "rubbery" if the walls aren't properly prepared. If you have peeled enough off the drywall to expose brown paper, it can still be repaired. Forget the Gardz and spackle; just use drywall mud and carefully sand (I prefer sanding blocks instead of sandpaper.). You shouldn't need more than one coat if you're careful. Then prime and paint.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:30 AM   #6

OK, md2lgyk, good to know about the Gardz... I will give that some more thought. It's just that I was advised by sooo many people (maybe Gardz/Zissner reps? Hahaha!) that it was an important step since the drywall paper was breached. But I did go to a couple of 'beginner' sites that did not mention it at all. I've got my work cut out for me...

jbfan, I will definitely take a picture and post it. Thank you for suggesting that. Feels like you really want to help

Now, where is the camera.......

Be back soon,
Sile
Old 09-07-2011, 12:58 PM   #7

I've never heard of Gardz, so didn't realize it's a sealer/primer. If you repair with drywall mud, you'll definitely need to use it or some other primer. Otherwise, the paint will absorb into the mud differently from the rest of the wall and you'll be able to see every patch.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:47 PM   #8
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

Remove all loose drywall paper/paint. Prime with a quality primer (Gardz/Kilz). Sand the rough areas off the painted surface. Apply a couple of coats of mud, sand, prime, and paint. As stated above, when removing base (or door casing, or chair rail, etc.) always take a utility knife and cut the caulk before attempting to remove....