Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-30-2011, 10:39 AM   #1

Share |
Using Wall And Ceiling Texture as Joint Compound?

Hi,
I picked up a load of Wall and Ceiling Texture (dry, and in bags) which was way more than I needed.
My question is: Is it possible to use the bags of texture as joint compound--or at least mix some with joint compound to save a few $$?
Or should I plan on just trying to sell it and buy the joint compound I need?
Thanks,
Murph

Murp-the-Surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 12:13 PM   #2
Tileguy

It should be basically the same thing unless the texture product has something in it to supplement the texture effect.

Quote:
or at least mix some with joint compound to save a few $$?
You're kidding about that, right?

Joint compound is one of the cheapest products used in construction. I'll loan you seven dollars if you need to buy a new bag.

Old 07-30-2011, 01:37 PM   #3

It didn't take long for sarcastic people to reply--probably just sitting around waiting for the opportunity.
True is, we have spent way more on this project than expected, so please pardon me if I want to stretch my cash out as much as possible.
I'll send you my address, though, if you want to send a contribution. Just let me know. LOL
Anyway, thanks for the reply.
Murph
Old 07-30-2011, 01:41 PM   #4

Bud,
I see you are a tile guy.
Perhaps you can tell me the best way to remove grout from tile if it's been on there too long. Mr. Bridge (who I am sure is your hero), says to use water and vinegar. If that does not work should I get some type of acid wash?
Thanks
Murph
Old 07-30-2011, 02:09 PM   #5
Tileguy

Oh yow, me and John Bridge go way back. I was involved in the creation of his (now great) website. I created the concept of "The Liberry" he now holds so dear. I didn't name it, that was John's dumb idea. I also am responsible for naming him the "Mudmeister", a badge he so proudly wears to this day. We have even had a few beers together in years past. Yup, John is my hero. He even saw fit to give me an honorable mention in his book; "Tile Your World".

But I digress..........

The vinegar thing is the first thing to try. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. The next step up would probably be sulfamic acid. Stronger than vinegar but still relatively safe.

As far as the "loan offer", I was trying to open your eyes to the fact that you can't be saving that much money by mixing products not intended for the purpose. Joint compound is cheap. I'm all for saving a person a buck when possible, I do it here on this forum every day. But, sometimes you can be throwing good money after bad by taking short cuts and cutting corners. Just trying to help.
Old 07-30-2011, 02:26 PM   #6

I figured if you were any type of tile guy you knew about Mr Bridge. I bought the Tile Your World book more than a few years ago but do not have it here with me. I'll be relying on it very soon as I need to tile two bathrooms with a shower stall in each. Iwas very surprised thought that you were so close to him, his book, and his website. He is certainly a wealth of information.
I agree with you on the penny-pinching issue, I just thought the joint compound and the texture material looked pretty close to the same. I was really wondering if there was a substantial difference in the sandability of the texture (if there is such a word). I have way more than enough texture, so I am trying to make good use of it.
In the mean time if you have any new information about tiling bathrooms, shower stalls and pans, I'm all ears. I'll be doing them in a few weeks!
Later,
Murph
Old 07-30-2011, 05:14 PM   #7
Tileguy

Quote:
In the mean time if you have any new information about tiling bathrooms, shower stalls and pans, I'm all ears. I'll be doing them in a few weeks!
Later,
I'm sure we will all be here in a few weeks.

Tags
joint compound, wall texture