Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-07-2014, 06:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 152

Using sheetrock 90

Hey all,

I'm going to be mudding a laundry room soon and would like to do it as quickly as possible. I've got experience mudding but only used the premixed stuff to date. I bought some Sheetrock 90 for the laundry room. What I'm planning on doing is using the 90 for my first two coats then the premixed stuff as my finish coat. Is this going to work? Also, how long do I need to wait between coats? Can I do my second coat of 90 90 or so minutes after I apply it?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using DIY Forum

Lemkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:09 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Using sheetrock 90

Lemkie, check out the "Joint Compound" thread in the Drywall & Plaster forum. Might be helpful.

DIYRemodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:42 PM   #3

Using sheetrock 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYRemodeler
Lemkie, check out the "Joint Compound" thread in the Drywall & Plaster forum. Might be helpful.
Seems that thread just confused me even more... Is it a bad idea to use Sheetrock 90 for taping with paper tape?

Old 03-08-2014, 06:25 AM   #4

Using sheetrock 90

I did some reading on the cgc website. If I'm understanding correctly it says to fill tapered joints with 1 coat of Sheetrock 90 and no tape, then to put the tape on with a second coat. Is this common practice? I've always put my tape on with the first coat when using the premixed stuff.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:50 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,280

Using sheetrock 90

Yes pre fill and first coat with the 90 then the premixed to finish. Just because it says 90 minutes a lot of things can alter that. Using warm water to mix will make it set faster, the warmer the faster. Heat and humidity are also factors. Sometimes it will still look wet, the 90 minutes means it should be hard enough to re-coat. These powdered muds, called hot muds, dry by chemical reaction whereas the premixed dry by setting or air drying. This is why the hot mud can be recoated even though it still looks wet. Just be sure it is set enough that your knife won't gouge it when you put on the next coat.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:45 AM   #6

Using sheetrock 90

So there is no tape with the first coat of mud at all? Only with the 2nd coat?

Old 03-08-2014, 06:53 PM   #7

Using sheetrock 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemkie View Post
So there is no tape with the first coat of mud at all? Only with the 2nd coat?

No this is not true. If you have large gaps or openings like between your sheets then you need to pre-fill. If your sheets are tight together then use your first coat to tape.
The Following User Says Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
Lemkie (03-08-2014)
Old 03-08-2014, 06:55 PM   #8

Using sheetrock 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker
No this is not true. If you have large gaps or openings like between your sheets then you need to pre-fill. If your sheets are tight together then use your first coat to tape.
Excellent. Thanks for the clarification!

Old 03-09-2014, 04:14 AM   #9
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,098

Using sheetrock 90

You can re coat with mud but not paint and or primer, till it's dry.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (03-09-2014)
Old 03-18-2014, 02:47 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 190

Using sheetrock 90

If your good at tapping and in a hurry get the 45 min and put fans on it. you can also mix some quick in with your topping compound so it will set faster. And a lot of people don't know this but after you mix up your quickset let it set in the pan without touching it for 1 min for the chemical reaction to start.
scottktmrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 03:45 PM   #11

Using sheetrock 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottktmrider
If your good at tapping and in a hurry get the 45 min and put fans on it. you can also mix some quick in with your topping compound so it will set faster. And a lot of people don't know this but after you mix up your quickset let it set in the pan without touching it for 1 min for the chemical reaction to start.
Thanks. I got it done with the 90 and that was quick setting enough haha. It went pretty well. The stuffs definitely not as smooth as the premix stuff. How do you guys normally do your inside corners? I did a tape and a fill coat with the 90 then went over it with premix. Was that the proper way?

Old 03-18-2014, 03:54 PM   #12

Using sheetrock 90

That is fine by doing it with the hot hot mud first you added a lot of strength to the corner and lowered the chance of cracking. Take your knife and knock off any high places then finish with your pre-mix and you will be fine.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:05 PM   #13

Using sheetrock 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker
That is fine by doing it with the hot hot mud first you added a lot of strength to the corner and lowered the chance of cracking. Take your knife and knock off any high places then finish with your pre-mix and you will be fine.
This is what I did. Good to know I did it right for sure. I think I will stick to this technique for future jobs

Old 03-18-2014, 04:11 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 190

Using sheetrock 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemkie View Post
Thanks. I got it done with the 90 and that was quick setting enough haha. It went pretty well. The stuffs definitely not as smooth as the premix stuff. How do you guys normally do your inside corners? I did a tape and a fill coat with the 90 then went over it with premix. Was that the proper way?

That is why you need to allways use bucket mud for your finish coat cause the quickest doesn't have a good finish and you can't sand it.
Sorry my post came a little late,I am just getting back on the site so I am catching up on posts

scottktmrider is online now   Reply With Quote