Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2014, 06:06 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 184
Rewards Points: 152
Default

Using sheetrock 90


Hey all,

I'm going to be mudding a laundry room soon and would like to do it as quickly as possible. I've got experience mudding but only used the premixed stuff to date. I bought some Sheetrock 90 for the laundry room. What I'm planning on doing is using the 90 for my first two coats then the premixed stuff as my finish coat. Is this going to work? Also, how long do I need to wait between coats? Can I do my second coat of 90 90 or so minutes after I apply it?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using DIY Forum

Lemkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:09 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 119
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Using sheetrock 90


Lemkie, check out the "Joint Compound" thread in the Drywall & Plaster forum. Might be helpful.

DIYRemodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:42 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 184
Rewards Points: 152
Default

Using sheetrock 90


Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYRemodeler
Lemkie, check out the "Joint Compound" thread in the Drywall & Plaster forum. Might be helpful.
Seems that thread just confused me even more... Is it a bad idea to use Sheetrock 90 for taping with paper tape?

Sent from my iPhone using DIY Forum
Lemkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:25 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 184
Rewards Points: 152
Default

Using sheetrock 90


I did some reading on the cgc website. If I'm understanding correctly it says to fill tapered joints with 1 coat of Sheetrock 90 and no tape, then to put the tape on with a second coat. Is this common practice? I've always put my tape on with the first coat when using the premixed stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using DIY Forum
Lemkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:50 AM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: outside ocala fl
Posts: 3,622
Rewards Points: 2,280
Default

Using sheetrock 90


Yes pre fill and first coat with the 90 then the premixed to finish. Just because it says 90 minutes a lot of things can alter that. Using warm water to mix will make it set faster, the warmer the faster. Heat and humidity are also factors. Sometimes it will still look wet, the 90 minutes means it should be hard enough to re-coat. These powdered muds, called hot muds, dry by chemical reaction whereas the premixed dry by setting or air drying. This is why the hot mud can be recoated even though it still looks wet. Just be sure it is set enough that your knife won't gouge it when you put on the next coat.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:45 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 184
Rewards Points: 152
Default

Using sheetrock 90


So there is no tape with the first coat of mud at all? Only with the 2nd coat?

Sent from my iPhone using DIY Forum
Lemkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:53 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: outside ocala fl
Posts: 3,622
Rewards Points: 2,280
Default

Using sheetrock 90


Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemkie View Post
So there is no tape with the first coat of mud at all? Only with the 2nd coat?

Sent from my iPhone using DIY Forum
No this is not true. If you have large gaps or openings like between your sheets then you need to pre-fill. If your sheets are tight together then use your first coat to tape.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
Lemkie (03-08-2014)
Old 03-08-2014, 06:55 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 184
Rewards Points: 152
Default

Using sheetrock 90


Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker
No this is not true. If you have large gaps or openings like between your sheets then you need to pre-fill. If your sheets are tight together then use your first coat to tape.
Excellent. Thanks for the clarification!

Sent from my iPhone using DIY Forum
Lemkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 04:14 AM   #9
paper hanger and painter
 
chrisn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hagerstown MD
Posts: 6,796
Rewards Points: 2,098
Default

Using sheetrock 90


You can re coat with mud but not paint and or primer, till it's dry.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (03-09-2014)
Old 03-18-2014, 02:47 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: missouri
Posts: 233
Rewards Points: 190
Default

Using sheetrock 90


If your good at tapping and in a hurry get the 45 min and put fans on it. you can also mix some quick in with your topping compound so it will set faster. And a lot of people don't know this but after you mix up your quickset let it set in the pan without touching it for 1 min for the chemical reaction to start.
scottktmrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 03:45 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 184
Rewards Points: 152
Default

Using sheetrock 90


Quote:
Originally Posted by scottktmrider
If your good at tapping and in a hurry get the 45 min and put fans on it. you can also mix some quick in with your topping compound so it will set faster. And a lot of people don't know this but after you mix up your quickset let it set in the pan without touching it for 1 min for the chemical reaction to start.
Thanks. I got it done with the 90 and that was quick setting enough haha. It went pretty well. The stuffs definitely not as smooth as the premix stuff. How do you guys normally do your inside corners? I did a tape and a fill coat with the 90 then went over it with premix. Was that the proper way?

Sent from my iPhone using DIY Forum
Lemkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 03:54 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: outside ocala fl
Posts: 3,622
Rewards Points: 2,280
Default

Using sheetrock 90


That is fine by doing it with the hot hot mud first you added a lot of strength to the corner and lowered the chance of cracking. Take your knife and knock off any high places then finish with your pre-mix and you will be fine.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:05 PM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 184
Rewards Points: 152
Default

Using sheetrock 90


Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker
That is fine by doing it with the hot hot mud first you added a lot of strength to the corner and lowered the chance of cracking. Take your knife and knock off any high places then finish with your pre-mix and you will be fine.
This is what I did. Good to know I did it right for sure. I think I will stick to this technique for future jobs

Sent from my iPhone using DIY Forum
Lemkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:11 PM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: missouri
Posts: 233
Rewards Points: 190
Default

Using sheetrock 90


Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemkie View Post
Thanks. I got it done with the 90 and that was quick setting enough haha. It went pretty well. The stuffs definitely not as smooth as the premix stuff. How do you guys normally do your inside corners? I did a tape and a fill coat with the 90 then went over it with premix. Was that the proper way?

Sent from my iPhone using DIY Forum
That is why you need to allways use bucket mud for your finish coat cause the quickest doesn't have a good finish and you can't sand it.
Sorry my post came a little late,I am just getting back on the site so I am catching up on posts

scottktmrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tear down old fireplace or sheetrock over? hootsmcgoots Remodeling 4 04-30-2012 09:08 PM
Replacing Sheetrock Window Trim with Wood - NEWB Alert - Please Help! Mark79 Remodeling 7 01-24-2012 11:37 AM
insulation types i can use between current and new sheetrock on ceiling philbee62 Remodeling 4 08-05-2010 07:12 PM
Sheetrock put on w/o removing door trim Carla33 Carpentry 13 12-26-2009 01:32 AM
Mounting a flatscreen TV on a sheetrock wall TanMan Building & Construction 14 02-16-2009 04:26 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.