Unorthodox? - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-30-2012, 07:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 79

unorthodox?

I'm replacing all of the drywall in one bedroom besides the ceiling which is textured. Once my new drywall is hung I plan on not texturing it, but i'm hoping I can cut a corner here. I know to do a proper tape job I need to remove texture from the ceiling along the edge, tape, mud, retexture. I don't want to remove the texture and redo it.

Is it really shady to install the drywall as tight to the ceiling as possible then just caulk the crack? I'm thinking of putting up crown molding also if I need to. But the rest of the house doesn't have any crown so I wanted to stay away from that.

Advertisement

Dwillems is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:19 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 664

unorthodox?

And your question is?
It's next to impossible to match a textured patch job. Even a pro will have a tough time with it.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:34 PM   #3

unorthodox?

I guess I wasn't clear with my question, sorry. Instead of taping the wall drywall to the ceiling drywall. Can I simply caulk it instead to avoid dealing with the existing texture on the ceiling?
Old 07-31-2012, 08:13 PM   #4

unorthodox?

Noone has any suggestions?
Old 07-31-2012, 08:13 PM   #5
retired union carpenter

Rewards Points: 250
Send a message via Yahoo to coupe

unorthodox?

m if y guess is, it depends on the look you can be satisfied with? no two textures are exactly the same. if the texture now has deep ridges and lines, how will you transition the texture to the smooth?

if you caulk the corner? the texture will show in the smooth caulk. you'll first have to eliminate the tapered edge of drywall, and cut a clean factory edge below the taper to keep tight to the ceiling. if not needing to scribe it into the ceiling!

I'm sorry, I can't see any way this can be done and look good?
coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:17 PM   #6

unorthodox?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe
m if y guess is, it depends on the look you can be satisfied with? no two textures are exactly the same. if the texture now has deep ridges and lines, how will you transition the texture to the smooth?

if you caulk the corner? the texture will show in the smooth caulk. you'll first have to eliminate the tapered edge of drywall, and cut a clean factory edge below the taper to keep tight to the ceiling. if not needing to scribe it into the ceiling!

I'm sorry, I can't see any way this can be done and look good?
Ok thanks. I see where you're getting at with this, and I never thought about it that way. I really don't want to try to match the existing texture if I remove it at the edge to tape the seem, but I guess there isn't a way around it unless if I do crown molding which still might not cover the whole patch area.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:37 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,030

unorthodox?

If you install crown you should not need to tape under it.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:27 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 512

unorthodox?

cut the beveled edge off or put your sheets up vertically and put a vinyl J bead on the top of the sheets so the J bead butts up to the ceiling and you can fine tune it so its really close to the ceiling and mud the J bead. then do a really light bead of chaulking on the ceiling. paint the ceiling then the walls. If your textured ceiling is popcorn and the chaulking is noticeable mix up a little texture and dab it on with a paintbrush till it looks close. all else fails put up crown.

Advertisement

princelake is offline   Reply With Quote