Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-27-2009, 09:48 AM   #1

Share |

uneven framing for drywall

Hi, This is a beginner's question. Thanks for reading.

I put together a partition wall framing. Now I found that there are some unevenness among the studs and I probably need to so some "shimming?" before I put drywall on.

The unevenness is around 1/8-1/4 inch. Is there any kind of long and thin thing to be put on the framing for filling the gaps?

Thanks again.

hohadcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:01 AM   #2

I had the same problem when I did my first framing job.

What I did, and I don't know if this is what you are suppose to do or if this is what the pros do, but I just nailed another stud beside it, to straighten it out.

Worked for me.

Hope this helps.

yummy mummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:07 AM   #3

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...0652-157-00100
Be safe, Gary
Old 10-27-2009, 02:11 PM   #4

Thanks.

GBR in WA,

I know there need to be some kind of shims. Do you screw the shims on before drywalling?

This particular shims I have never seen in the HDs in my area. I will ask further. I am up in Canada.

Other than the ready-to-use drywall shims, there is nothing simply to fix the problem?
hohadcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:11 PM   #5

Find the bowed out stud, cut 3/4 the way through it from the side it needs to move to, attach a plywood gusset (3"x16") to both sides, nail it off when in line. Drive a wood shim in the gap with glue between the cut ends.
Be safe, Gary
Old 10-27-2009, 03:39 PM   #6
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR in WA View Post
Find the bowed out stud, cut 3/4 the way through it from the side it needs to move to, attach a plywood gusset (3"x16") to both sides, nail it off when in line. Drive a wood shim in the gap with glue between the cut ends.
Be safe, Gary
Here is the sequence up to the point of nailing on the side plywood gussets. I didn't show that because I think we all know how to nail a piece of plywood on the side of a stud.

And the alternative way is to make the same cut from the other side, the convex side.... you'll use no wedge..... then force the stud away from you by toe-nailing the edge of the stud downward and upward (angled) across the cut. (This is if you cannot reach the concave side conveniently.)
Attached Thumbnails
uneven framing for drywall-straighten-studs.jpg   uneven framing for drywall-straighten-studs-2.jpg  

Last edited by Willie T; 10-31-2009 at 06:04 PM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 05:42 AM   #7

I've never heard of cutting and shimming. Would be cool to try that, I guess. Could imagine it might be a pain.

I reno'd my bathroom and the studs were very uneven. I heard you can use furring strips but could not find them anywhere ( until after ) so I just cut out the crap studs and replaced them.

I've heard alot of people will just splice the junk studs on a 45* and knock them back and sister a new stud.

Whatever works!

295yards is offline   Reply With Quote