Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-10-2012, 10:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Undercutting drywall in basement

Hello,

I recently had some vinyl asbestos tile removed from my basement. The baseboards has to be taken off, and the drywall is sometimes resting directly on the floor, and sometimes it's a half inch off the floor.

I had an air quality testing company in for a separate issue, but while they were there they also tested for mold (haven't heard back yet) behind the walls, and mentioned it'd be a good idea to not only cut all the drywall so that none of it is touching the floor, but high enough (like, 2-2.5in) that there is an air gap between the bottom of the drywall and the bottom plate, so that air can circulate behind the wall and hopefully dry it out should it ever get wet.

Seems to make sense, but I've never seen it. How does this jive with all of you?

Thank you!

Last edited by cerfsud; 12-10-2012 at 10:05 PM.
cerfsud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:54 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 0

Undercutting drywall in basement

I understand removing anything that might be moldy and also keeping the drywall 1/2 off the concrete floor. However, keeping the drywall up off the bottom plate is bit odd. You're not going to be able to properly attach your base molding that way, unless you nail it into the studs. I say, take care of the moisture problem first, then install the drywall properly, 1/2 off the floor. If you don't address the source of the moisture, you're going to continue having problems.

Seattle2k is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, basement, drywall, flow, undercut