DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Transporting Drywall

20K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  n0c7 
#1 ·
Hello, I need to buy about 30 sheets of 4x8 1/2 inch drywall. I don't want to buy them in the town I live in cuz its 7 bucks a sheet. I'm thinking about borrowing my dad's truck and going to home depot or lowes to get it at 5 bucks. The trip would be 120 miles round trip. And for cost of traveling doesn't make to much of difference since I need to go there anyways.

I haven't measure yet, but I'm assuming it would fit in the truck bed, with the tailgate down. I am worried about them sliding out the back while driving. i have ratchet tie downs, but would those damage the sheets?

Anyone have suggestions on this?

#8 ·
Just for the record, I picked up about 48 Sheets (8 or 10 of them were 10 footers), pulled them in a trailer (rated for 3000lbs.) with a 98ish F-150 with a triton V-8. Not sure of the rating of the truck, but it handled it pretty well. And you can take those "separator" type of things that are in between so many sheets to protect it from the tie down straps.

#9 ·
In the last three months I hauled 38 sheets of 5/8ths one trip and 56 sheets of 1/2 in. another. My truck is a 86 1/2 ton Chevy 4X4 and it did fine. The thing that always worried me most was stopping ability. This one is fine, but my last truck had drum brakes and it was a bit nerve racking. I was only hauling this about 10 miles.

#11 ·
We did 32 1/2" 4x8 sheets in a 93 Explorer a few years ago and I'm surprised we didn't blow a shock as there was a lot of strain on the suspension but we only had about a mile to go. They will not slide due to the weight but you also have to worry about weather(rain/snow).

I don't think it's worth the hassle in this case.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.