Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-08-2011, 11:06 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Too damp to drywall?

In the process of re-doing my basement. I've sorted every single source of significant moisture other than a tiny, periodic trickle of water that comes in a corner by my furnace. Unfortunately inside sealing techniques have been imperfect and the problem area is underneath my (pour concrete) front walk so I had to finish the area before this issue was completely resolved. The result is that there is almost always a very small puddle sitting in that corner.

The corner has been finished with 2" XPS foam board adhered to all walls, and then a stud wall 1" spaced out from the XPS, sitting on dricore subfloor and the stud spaces filled with Roxul. No standing water ever gets in contact with the studs nor could it get in contact with any drywall.

My question is, can I go ahead and drywall that section or do I need to wait until the humidity caused by moisture problem is completely resolved? If I can go ahead, can I still use codeboard (5/8 fire rated drywall) as planned, or should I use green board instead?

There's no actual rush to board other than my concern about not having a more complete fire barrier between the (highly flamable and toxic-smoke-producing) foam board and my gas furnace and hot water heater.

wilsonstark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:08 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Too damp to drywall?

If you want to reduce the humidity, run a dehumidiifer. Don't you have a heat source for this area? The humidity level in my basement is 35%.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:40 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Too damp to drywall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
If you want to reduce the humidity, run a dehumidiifer. Don't you have a heat source for this area? The humidity level in my basement is 35%.
Ron
We heat with gas, and the overall humidity in the basement is really quite low. It's just the actual spot has kind of localized humidity due to the very small leak in that corner of the foundation. The basement is heated forced air, so air circulation and air flow aren't bad, but once the drywall is on there will be less airflow behind the wall (although not zero, given the way the dricore is designed).
wilsonstark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 04:21 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Too damp to drywall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonstark View Post
We heat with gas, and the overall humidity in the basement is really quite low. It's just the actual spot has kind of localized humidity due to the very small leak in that corner of the foundation. The basement is heated forced air, so air circulation and air flow aren't bad, but once the drywall is on there will be less airflow behind the wall (although not zero, given the way the dricore is designed).
If you're worried, paint the back of the sheetrock.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote