Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-26-2012, 01:19 PM   #1

Share |

Textured walls

Hi, I Want to do textured walls in a bedroom but am confused as to how to do it. Do I mix my silica sand with my drywall compound and trowel on then paint my walls with my color? Or do I add silica sand to my paint and roll on? I don't want a smooth finish, I'm looking for a little high and low texture finish. I also need to know how much sand should I use? Help!

Bosslady7171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:38 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Textured walls

I assume you want a sand sort of texture when finished or were you looking for something more dramatic accomplished with drywall compound?

You can mix sand in with drywall compound and skim coat it on.

You can also mix sand in a high bond primer and even paint but you will not be able to get as much texture. I would use a textured primer rather than counting on the bonding properties of paint. There are also texture rollers you can try in conjunction with sand or thinned drywall mud or on their own. At the very least you are probably going to want a fairly thick nap roller cover for the texture as you will want to be able to hold sufficient material to make it work.

Mix the paint and sand in a separate bucket, not in the original primer or paint can. Never return leftovers to the original can. Keep track of your proportions so you can mix more the same as needed. Be sure and stir often.

Experiment on scraps or an inconspicuous area like an inside closet wall to get the texture you want before doing the actual bedroom walls.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:02 PM   #3

Textured walls

And you do know this will make the walls twice as hard to clean and really hard to patch if there ever is any wall damage.
I've been on DIY sites for many many years and 99% of the people asking about texture on walls or ceilings are asking how to get it off not how to put it on.
If you ever get tired of it your in for a lot of work to get rid of it, it can not just be sanded off.
Just a personal observation from dealing with other peoples homes for over 30years.
But ha it's your home.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:24 PM   #4
Drywall contractor

Textured walls

IF you insist on texture (I highly discourage it) use some sort of gypsum based texture, not sand. (Unless that's the texture you REALLY want.) It's VERY difficult to patch sand texture. Almost impossible to remove. For resale purposes a gypsum texture will give the option to remove if desired.....