Textured Paint Over Drywall - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-21-2010, 06:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Textured paint over drywall

I am in desperate need of help! My husband and i live in a doublewide mobile home. I wanted to take the strips off the walls where the sheets of drywall are joined. We filled the cracks with drywall mud using the tape with the little squares so it wouldn't crack. Now the sanding has become more of a task then i expected. My question is if i use textured paint will i still have to sand the walls smooth before using the paint?

Advertisement

lkinard1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:36 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

even on smooth walls we sand between coats, with textured paint you may want to sand down any edges to make sure they don't show thru the paint.
I would spend a little more time on getting joints as smooth as possible, then apply the textured paint. You may want to try a small section as a test and if it covers, continue with your painting.

Advertisement

newfie49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 12:58 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 252
Smile

There are many tools for sanding, even a block of wood with sandpaper wrapped around. Dust is always a problem and seems to get everywhere.

I use both the white traditional small grit stuff but also like the black sandpaper. The black is used a lot for wet sanding. Lots of car painters use it for sanding between paint applications, always wet.

You could try wet sanding to keep down the dust.

Either way, some muscle is needed. Good luck.
diyorpay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 03:12 PM   #4
liscenced electrician

Rewards Points: 514

if you need THAT much sanding your not applying the mud correctly. It should only need a very light sanding. Also, your textured paint will not hide anything, If you can see something bad now, it will be 10x worse after you paint it. You should probably apply a primer coat after your done with your drywall repairs. That way you can still fix your mistakes after you are able to see them
jimmy21 is online now   Reply With Quote