Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-12-2010, 09:55 PM   #1

Share |

Textured Drywall Ceiling Repair

The drywall tape is pulling away on the ceiling where the ceiling meets the walls. It is especially a problem over the tub region. The ceiling is textured. Does anyone have any ideas on how to repair the ceiling and match the texture?
TRACKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:30 AM   #2
Handyman

You really should remove the tape and put new tape on. Textured ceilings are a nightmare to match. I've never, and don't know of anyone, who has successfully matched the texture. You can buy spray on textures but you will always see the patches. You might consider just scraping a 4" area around the entire ceiling to make it look uniform. Soak the remaining ceiling edges with a water spritzer and use a scraper or drywall knife to scrape it off. Don't understand why anyone would want textured ceiling in bathroom anyway
canadaclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:47 PM   #3

Thanks for the help. I didn't really want a textured ceiling. I have them in every room of my house. It probably isn't the best fix but I was able to carefully push some spackle under the tape. I used my fingers to create somewhat of a speckled pattern. It doesn't really match exactly but you don't notice too much since it is so close to the wall. I went around the entire room using the sam procedure. It seems to have fixed the problem for now. If is lasts anothe 18 years I will be happy. Thanks for your help.
TRACKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:10 PM   #4
Drywall and Painting Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaclub View Post
You really should remove the tape and put new tape on. Textured ceilings are a nightmare to match. I've never, and don't know of anyone, who has successfully matched the texture. You can buy spray on textures but you will always see the patches. You might consider just scraping a 4" area around the entire ceiling to make it look uniform. Soak the remaining ceiling edges with a water spritzer and use a scraper or drywall knife to scrape it off. Don't understand why anyone would want textured ceiling in bathroom anyway
It's a whole different world here in Florida.
Most ceilings and walls have some sort of texture on them from the 1950's on.
And Yes, beleive it or not. Textures can be matched on ceilings and walls.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Checkout some of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sir MixAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:56 PM   #5
Drywall and Painting Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRACKER View Post
The drywall tape is pulling away on the ceiling where the ceiling meets the walls. It is especially a problem over the tub region. The ceiling is textured. Does anyone have any ideas on how to repair the ceiling and match the texture?
Can you post a picture of your ceiling with the texture?

Checkout some of

Sir MixAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 02:50 PM   #6
Drywall contractor

Agreed, texture CAN be patched if you know what you're doing.....
Old 07-26-2010, 05:43 PM   #7
Handyman

I sure would love it if someone taught me how to match a textured drywall repair.
canadaclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:55 PM   #8
Drywall contractor

It helps if you do that sort of repair a lot (practice makes perfect) and the correct tools to do the repair is a MUST. Blending in to the existing is the hardest part....