Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-04-2014, 10:23 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

texture questions

Howdy

I have two questions:
texture questions-wp_20140203_001.jpg

texture questions-wp_20140203_003.jpg

texture questions-wp_20140203_004.jpg
1. How do I get the texture in the attached photo? I realize I will not be able to replicate it perfectly but I'd like to get close. This texture is the texture I have for the entire upstairs except...

2. My closet wall (yes, walls) and all ceilings upstairs have popcorn. I scraped one ceiling and closet while paint was drying downstairs. It looks like unfinished drywall. Taking into consideration the texture on the existing walls, I'd like to make the ceilings look either similar to the walls or do a knockdown texture (which I have SOME experience in). That said, do I have to sand before doing any texture or can I just sand it smooth and paint it? Is there a step I'm missing?

Thank you

lendosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:38 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 34

texture questions

It's called egg shell or orange peel. There's a bunch of videos on You Tube on how it's done.
Prime before texturing.

lendosky (02-05-2014)
Old 02-04-2014, 11:58 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 6

texture questions

Joe is correct that it is indeed orange peel texture. Back in the 1920's it was done on horsehair plaster with a stippling brush. Hopefully you have the more modern version which is much easier to replicate. I never had much luck trying to duplicate the old stipple but came relatively close with a stippling brush and thinned joint compound.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
lendosky (02-05-2014)
Old 02-04-2014, 06:59 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

texture questions

You can rent a hopper gun and compressor for orange peel there a 3 different size nozzles for orange peel. Where you rent will probably give you all 3 you will need to practice.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
lendosky (02-05-2014)
Old 02-05-2014, 11:32 AM   #5

texture questions

Thought I submitted this response yesterday but apparently I have poor computing skills. Anywho, I thank you for defining the texture and I was able to view some videos on how to repair the small areas such as the size of a quarter to the size of a dollar bill. Thanks a million for that guidance. The house was built in the 80's--thankfully.

I am, however, still confused on what to do on the ceiling. If the ceiling is scraped/removed popcorn texture can I sand it smooth and then prime then paint? Or is a skim coat prior to prime proper procedure? Or is the skim not required? I'm such a noob at drywall so forgive me. I do have a hopper gun that I used for concrete coatings and knockdown downstairs (this thread is directed entirely to the upstairs) so I will just have to find the small holed fitting for the closet interiors in order to create uniformity on the walls.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:45 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

texture questions

On the popcorn if you were lucky and it came off easy just prime and paint. But if in the removal the ceiling got gouged or is just real rough you will probably need to skim first.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (02-05-2014), lendosky (02-05-2014)
Old 02-07-2014, 06:41 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 8

texture questions

I would skim coat it or shoot a light orange peel on it. that is the problem with removing popcorn it never comes out looking great unless your lucky.
Nailbags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:29 PM   #8

texture questions

I was lucky. I had to spend a good hour sanding and then do a very slight touch up at a few screws and a inside corner but bam. It came out sweet. Thanks for the help. Now, just to do the other rooms.