Texture Over Texture? - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-22-2014, 02:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Texture over texture?

Hey all,

Bought my house about 3 years ago and most of the house has that "sand-type" texture on the walls and ceilings. SICK OF IT!!!!! There are some cracks and whatnot that are going to have to be repaired. After the repair, can I shoot orange peel texture OVER the sand, or do I have to skim-coat the whole place first?

Additionally, along the seams where the wall meets the ceiling cracks are starting to show and sections of the tape are peeling away. Do I just pull the tape, then do a little sanding and re-tape the seams? House was built in the 60's ( I think it was a pre-fab) and has since settled a little...plus I live in a town where the quarry likes to blast all summer!

Advertisement

nvycrmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 02:36 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 888

Texture over texture?

I just did a kitchen with that type of ceiling y
esterday.I chose to just skim coat the ceiling as I know the HO is very picky.It really does not take long.
As far as the loose tape,pull what you can off.I usually cut a groove out with a utility knife along the crack, prefill and tape with hotmud.

Advertisement

mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:24 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,700

Texture over texture?

Really need a pic to see texture but it sounds like a rough sand like 80 grit, because of the sand mix. Then a skim coat, but yes you need to pull any loose tape and repair (paper tape), repair any cracks. Let me clarify, when I said sand I mean just to level surface not sand it clean.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:09 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Texture over texture?

so here is the textured wall (all walls and ceilings are textured like this, with the exception of the basement, which has popcorn ceilings and orange peel). This wall had faux brick on it. I removed it, sanded the wall, primed and painted but if you look in the pic, you can still see the brick pattern...ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Texture over texture?-brick1.jpg  
nvycrmn is offline   Reply With Quote