Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-26-2011, 11:33 AM   #1

Share |

texture over paint?

hi, i hope that this is the right section, if not, i wouldn't mind a moderator moving it to the appropriate place

anyway, i am moving soon, and the new place is "rough" to say the least. it's a rental, and i don't have a very big budget, but the owner said she would supply paint if i wanted to paint it. there is some really awful wall-paper that i will need to remove first, then on to the fun stuff... maybe. the walls are not in great shape. i'm wondering what the cheapest/fastest way to make them look decent is? i am thinking that throwing some texture on them would mask some of the other imperfections? i know you can't texture over wall paper, but can you texture over paint? what is the most "fool proof" texture technique? any other ideas? i had thought of getting cheap paneling and painting that, any thoughts/warnings about that?

thanks for any input

thefawkese1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 11:41 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

texture over paint?

You can probably put some textures on painted walls but do yourself a favor and lay down a nice primer first.

Skim coating walls with drywall compound goes fairly fast once you get the hang of working with a wide knife. Learning to work with hot mud that you mix yourself is worth the learning curve too. The mesh tape work well for cracks and was designed for such applications.

For walls in extremely rough shape their are surfacing membranes that will seal up cracks and so forth. NuWall is one brand but it is pricey. They also sell wall texture in sheets and things that you apply like wallpaper. I have never had reason to use it and it does sort of fall into the category of painted wallpaper in my eyes I guess.

You can rent a hamper setup and spray drywall texture. You should have some idea in mind of what you are hoping to accomplish. Sand mixed into paint can sometimes provide enough texture to even out a wall.

Just remember as you paint that the higher the sheen of the paint the more the imperfections are going to show. Darker colors will display defects more too.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 11:51 AM   #3

texture over paint?

thank you... i will have to look up all those terms lol...

for the paint, i'm going with a tan, but not too dark, in a satin finish. my understanding is that it is bit more cleanable than flat, but not too glossy?

sorry to sound stupid, but by primer, i'm assuming you mean a paint primer and not some other sort that i've not heard of?

thanks for the tip on the "nuwall", i will look into it, it might be a good choice
thefawkese1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:00 PM   #4
I make love to my walls

texture over paint?

Don't bother looking up the term "hamper" you already know what that is hahaha. He meant "hopper." I would just buy one if you already own a compressor. You can get one at hd for like $60 your gonna pay more than half that to rent one probably
Arey85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:28 AM   #5

texture over paint?

It is "very generous" of the landlord to provide the paint.

If you want to do it right, its going to take time and effort, tools and materials. Definitely more than just a coat of paint. Assuming that the wallpaper is stuck to the wall, and not coming down easily, see this thread that I started.

Painting over wallpaper - no other option - How to proceed

However, the general feeling is that painting over wallpaper is not the way to go.
kuj0317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:58 AM   #6
Drywall contractor

texture over paint?

Go to drywallschool.com and you can find various pictures of textures and tutorials on how to apply them....