Terrible Drywall Texture Job On New Construction - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-22-2016, 10:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 8

Terrible drywall on new construction home

I am in the process of buying a new construction home and we should be closing in about 25 days. The builder promised us a Light orange peel texture on walls and ceiling, unfortunately going through the house the texture applied is very heavy and pretty much looks like exterior walls.... they know it is wrong and said that will find a solution, but I am very unsure that they can fix the problem and finish the house in less than 30 days... my question is: how hard it is to fix a 3000sqf house entire drywall texture including ceilings? Can I get out of the contract because of that? Thank you all! I am in desperate need of help

Advertisement

brasileira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 10:15 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 11,540

Re: Terrible drywall on new construction home

#1, This has to be a local issue, almost no one I know would want any texture on any walls or ceilings for many reasons.
No pictures posted so how would anyone be able to suggest how to fix it?

Advertisement

Msradell (03-22-2016), Yodaman (03-23-2016)
Old 03-22-2016, 10:36 PM   #3

terrible drywall texture job on new construction-d0feb6f2-253f-47eb-8569-aa0cc3424d4d.jpg
Old 03-22-2016, 10:38 PM   #4

terrible drywall texture job on new construction-b9f4eb36-edd9-4a33-9694-709968294257.jpg
Old 03-22-2016, 10:47 PM   #5

terrible drywall texture job on new construction

I am in the process of buying a new construction home and we should be closing in about 25 days. The builder offered us a light orange peel texture on walls and ceiling (very common in FL). Unfortunately going through the house we notice that the texture applied is very heavy and all the interior walls look like exterior walls. The builder said that the knows it is wrong and he is trying to find a solution, right now I am very unsure that they can fix the problem and finish the house in less than 30 days. My question is: how hard is it to fix a 3000sqf home (all walls and ceiling), Can I get out of a contract because of that? Thanks you! I am in desperate need of help![ATTACH]terrible drywall texture job on new construction-b9f4eb36-edd9-4a33-9694-709968294257.jpg

terrible drywall texture job on new construction-d0feb6f2-253f-47eb-8569-aa0cc3424d4d.jpg[/ATTACH]
Old 03-23-2016, 12:37 AM   #6
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 7,820

That is your classic "We slapped up the drywall and now want to hide all the defects" type of finish.

Yea.....about par to a Stucco finish....I wouldn't want it.

The fix would have not been too bad....if it was not painted. Now? Not so easy.

Don't back down. If it's documented as to what you want, you have a leg to stand on.

But I see it going down as this.

If you want it fixed, they are going to tell you the repair will take longer than the time before your closing, hence, the closing will be delayed.....BUT...they will come back and 'offer' a discount.....a few dollars back. If you are like most buyers, the money is tight.

But, if in fact, money is not tight....don't give in....and if they don't get it done before the closing date...threaten legal action....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 07:00 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 25

Part of it is going to come down to,the definition of light orange peel texture. Was it in writing and are there any samples? It was kind of a sissy thing to ask for unseen 30 days before closing. . As for correcting it, I Weill leave it to the pros. If this is kind off a spray on water based substance like popcorn ceilings, then it can be removed by wetting and scraping and the Jon is very messy.

As for getting out of the contract without a written definition and clear instructions include kind some kind of sample, I doubt whether you can get out of the contract. . You can walk away but you will lose your deposit. You will need to talk to your attorney on this one, and do it now.
jimn01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 07:38 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 5,974

I kind of disagree with the above post there are pics and definitions of light orange peel,and this ain't it. As for a fix, glad it's not me, will most likely be sand, skim, and re spray then repaint. The good news is being the house is still empty they can use power sanders to remove it. So shouldn't take too long.
Old 03-23-2016, 05:33 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,326

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
...there are pics and definitions of light orange peel,and this ain't it.
There is a definition, by a reputable body, for "light orange peel texture" ?

Please show us.
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 06:34 PM   #10
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 4,150

Not sure how reputable these folks are but they have a picture

http://www.sccidrywall.com/2011/03/0...t-orange-peel/
Yodaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 06:54 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,326

SCCI is a drywall contractor (a smart drywall contractor because he defines the surface before he does it). Another drywall contractor may have a different definition of light orange-peel texture. What is needed is a definition by a contactor's/drywall body that defines it. Possibly does exist, because I believe there are standardized grades for quality of a (smooth) drywall finish. But just googling an image is not a definition.
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 02:16 PM   #12

Do you guys think that a Light sanding job just to smooth it up the surfaces, and a coat of paint would be a good repair action?
Old 03-24-2016, 09:14 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,855

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasileira View Post
Do you guys think that a Light sanding job just to smooth it up the surfaces, and a coat of paint would be a good repair action?
It might sand off, depends on the paint. Relatively fresh latex paint can plug up sandpapers very quickly.

You might also work a compromise with the builder, like smooth out the walls, leave the ceilings, or leave some of the rooms alone. From what I see, which isn't much, it doesn't look all that bad. It might also look very different once you get some colors onto the walls, vs the light neutrals.
ChuckF. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 09:20 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 494

The texture looks a lot like that used in the motels around here. It seems to chip off easily, overtime, leaving it looking like someone splashed white liquid all over the walls.
Nik333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 01:47 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 56

interesting thread, I also have the same question

Advertisement

langit is offline   Reply With Quote