Tearing Down Old Plaster Walls, Insulating And Putting Up Drywall - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-19-2012, 06:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

tearing down old plaster walls, insulating and putting up drywall

I started tearing down my old plaster and lathe walls so I can insulate with rockwool batting and put up new drywall, when I came across a problem around the window and door frames. How do I remove the lathe that sits behind them. I was going to take off the window and door frames (I have vinyl replacement windows) not only to remove the lathe, but also so I can insulate behind them, when someone told me not to do it. They said if you take the window and door frames down, you will have to install extension jambs b/c there will be a gap between the door frame and the jamb. They also said that the extension jambs don't look good and can be tough to install. Does this mean that the drywall when installed would not be flush with the door jamb. I can see about and inch in from and behind the door frame and it looks like there's a piece of wood parallel to the frame that's attached to it. I'm very confused and don't know what to do. Someone please help!

Advertisement

Alibaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:23 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 622

They have no clue what there talking about.
Any time your removing old plaster and lath you have to remove all the old trim.
The thing is plaster and lath is thicker then 1/2 sheetrock so all the walls will need to be shimed out so they will be even with the old window and door jambs.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
Alibaba (11-19-2012)
Old 11-19-2012, 06:45 PM   #3

Thanks for your prompt response Joe. The plasterer did say he would have to shim the wall out. My house was built in the late 1920's if that makes any difference. I didn't understand why he said this would create a gap between door frame and door jamb.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:53 PM   #4

Not sure why your dealing with a plasterer if your doing drywall.
If you did not remove the trim there's no way to fill in the old pockets where the old window weights were or get to the gaps around the doors.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:56 PM   #5

Not sure if it's different where you live, but most drywall installers also put a coat of plaster over the drywall. I've had it done before in my kitchen. Precisely why I want to take off the door and window frames so I can fill in the gaps with the insulation. Otherwise, why go through trouble of tearing down walls, just to do a job halfway.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:02 PM   #6

Never done around here that I've ever heard of.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:04 PM   #7

Maybe it's a New England thing. I know when I lived in the south they didn't do it there either and the walls always seemed pretty flimsy. It's pretty cool watching them do it on their stilts.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:32 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,690

now is the time to get new windows and doors.

i am doing the exact same thing
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fix'n it For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (11-19-2012)
Old 11-19-2012, 09:39 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,470

Opening up the walls also means bring everything, and I mean everything up to code. That is one reason why people do not gut to the studs, because ends up costing them more and in a lot of remodels, it is not warranted for 99% of placing insulation inside the walls.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:54 PM   #10
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alibaba View Post
Maybe it's a New England thing. I know when I lived in the south they didn't do it there either and the walls always seemed pretty flimsy. It's pretty cool watching them do it on their stilts.
Hugh?If the walls seemed flimsy putting a coat of plaster on them is certainly not going to make them but, maybe, surface stronger. And so what. Adding the weight would just make a crappy, poorly secured drywall job sag and pull its tape loose?

I have certainly called in wall surfacing teams into antique homes to simulate the plaster that was once there in antique homes. On very few, purist owner have wanted the real thing. It's hard to find real plaster people anymore though.

I suspect you see more of it in New England because there is a desire to mimmick the old. Or surpass it. I suspect you would see lots of similar practice around any antique home community where homes were being renovated and getting new walls. I certainly sought to match new walls to old plaster and lath I did. Of course they never look quite the same. They are too perfectly flat over the entire surface for one thing.

But you know, if the craftsman who built homes I worked on most had access to the building materials we do? They never would have lath and plastered or made posts and things out of wood termites would gobble. Hopefully none of them would have painted over hardwood or used vinyl siding though.

Faux finishes or plaster and texture veneers usually look off to me in new construction.

The real plasterers, on stilts, with a plaster hawk full of material are amazing to watch. If you have ever held one you know what I mean. And they bend it down and have mixer fill it up. Soon all gone I suspect. Never arm wrestle one!

Last edited by user1007; 11-19-2012 at 11:59 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:42 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,670

I have never heard of plaster over drywall or properly installed drywall being flimsy. My question is if this if all just for insulation why not just drill a hole and use the old blown in stuff.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:39 AM   #12
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,470

Probably doing electrical and LV work toolseeker. That is my fair guess.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (11-20-2012)
Old 11-20-2012, 09:52 AM   #13

The reason I'm not putting holes in the top of the wall and insulating that way is b/c I already had insulation blown in earlier in 2000 and when I went to open up the walls, there's hardly any insulation. Most of the cavities are either totally empty or only partially filled. If you do not open up the walls, you have no idea if the insulation has been blown in properly, unless perhaps you have access to a thermal camera. Big rip off business if you ask me. I don't see insulation companies going around with thermal cameras to check the job after they've blown it in. They would be redoing a lot of home and probably be out of business. Additionally, blown in cannot get around the window and door frames and rock wool batts have a higher R value per inch than cellulose. Rock wool is a far superior product also with regard to sound dampening and fireproof.

I guess none of you folks are in the New England area if you have never heard of plaster over drywall! It's done all the time in older homes. Can't speak for new construction.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:54 AM   #14

By the way, no one except for JoeCaption addressed my specific question in their replies. I'm not asking for advice on insulation or plastering over drywall.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:01 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 500

Post pics for conclusive advise, but normally, yes, you'd remove the trim and expect the rocker to fur out the walls appropriately so that everything lands straight.

Advertisement

Evstarr is offline   Reply With Quote