Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-04-2011, 01:42 PM   #1

Share |

Taping New Drywall to Existing Textured Ceiling

Hello. First time poster here so be gentle, please!

My wife and I have tackled gutting our master bathroom and are almost to the point of installing new drywall and have a few questions on how best to approach some situations we have.

First off..this bathroom was all wallpaper and tile and is a 20 year old house so we decided to gut it down to the studs to make sure we didn't have any mold issues or anything else that might need our attention.

We've pretty much taken care of those issues and starting to reassemble the room. Only thing we left was the ceiling because we have a skylight and 18 inches of insulation above it.

I'm trying to figure out what's the best way to retape the walls to the existing ceiling. The biggest issue is it's a textured ceiling.

So..that being said, what's the best way to approach this? Do we just sand out so far from the walls to give us a place to re-tape or is there a different way to approach this?

I'm just not sure what's the most effective way to go at this. Any help or suggestions will be much appreciated!

Last edited by moparmaniac; 04-04-2011 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Add more info.
moparmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:45 AM   #2
Next Time...New Build

Depending on the texture of the ceiling, you can run a 6 inch drywall knife along the ceiling where it meets the wall. The idea is to remove as much of the texture as posssible to give you a flat taping surface. Do your tape and finish coats with the 6 inch knife. You could probably get away with your tape coat and 1 finish coat since your texture coat will be applied next.

Once this is done, sand out like normal, except it doesn't have to be perfect since you will have the texture to cover some of the imperfections. Use additional mud to do your texture. I have used everything from a wet sponge to a shop brush to match. Apply a layer of mud and use whatever tool necessary to match the texture that is there.

With a little finesse you can match it very well.

Good luck.
RickyBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:28 PM   #3

if i was doing it i would sand down 6" away from angel then i would use a 4" knife to tape and aplly bed coat after each side has set up and is ready for texture then i would try to blend back the texture
you may have to retexture the whole ceiling to match texture
if so you need to smmoth it all out before you texture
this will get rid of old texture and will make texture easier
one more thing if you decide to redo the whole ceiling remeber the mud will dry quicker than it does on new work the old mud will suck the moister out of the mud
lrobertstoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 02:08 PM   #4
Drywall contractor

A narrow crown mold would be my solution if I didn't just go ahead and put another layer of drywall over the existing ceiling.......
Old 04-07-2011, 03:14 PM   #5

I was thinking about that as an option ...wife was wanting wainscoting in the bathroom anyways. Guess I'll just have to see what the bos says.
moparmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote