Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-17-2012, 01:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Taping Knives....

I can't seem to stray away from good 'ole Carbon Steel knives.

I do love the Advance 14" SS knife.

Tried various 6" SS knife brands....still find myself going back to good ole carbon steel for that. NOW, if Advance made a SS joint knife, that might be it.

I do use the SS when I need something firmer when doing a pass over paper/corner bead and want to remove mud.

mobiledynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:14 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Taping Knives....

The only thing with carbon steel is that it corrodes almost instantly and I like stainless for the reason that it does not. You should shop to see if you can find one with the flex to it you are missing.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:22 PM   #3
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

Taping Knives....

And stainless lasts much longer for that exact reason, no rust. I've always used Ames "feather light" stainless steel knives. They're recognized more for their line of "automatic" taping tools, but they do sell (or at least did) hand tools. I bought my second set of knives probably 10 years ago after getting 20 or so years out of the first set. The corners on the first set were severely "rounded off" from the years of use and I used them until the rivets in the handle of my 10" came loose (still worked fine, but I figured it was time). The new set wasn't quite as flexible as I was used to, but I got used to it eventually. As sdsester said, look around and find something that has the "right amount" of flex for you. Nothing wrong with the old "blue blades" if that's what you find to be your best "fit", especially for occasional use. Sorry, but I can't deal with the 14" knife (12" is plenty for skim). Or maybe I should say the 14" pan full of mud.....
Old 04-19-2012, 06:39 PM   #4

Taping Knives....

I envy you mud guys. I pick up a taping knife once every 5 years or so. Moreso by choice, but this time, it was force of the hand due to Irene and 24" drywall cutback. Ended up taking down some walls, and some soffitt rework as well. Tapering and mudding /floating out the butt joints was all cake. Getting the final details on the inside/outside corners I'm dragging my feet on, as I like to get it to be less tapered and flat on the plane.
mobiledynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:25 PM   #5
Drywall contractor

Taping Knives....

Understand the circumstances and hate to hear it. Just be patient and remember "less is better" when it comes to finishing. Several thin coats will turn out better than trying to "pile on" a heavy coat (or two) of mud. Best of luck...
Old 05-20-2013, 02:52 PM   #6

Taping Knives....

I'm looking for a 14" taping knife for several soffits and my two local big box stores only have blue steel. I could get one of these Wall-Board Tools knives or this Kobalt knife or I can look somewhere else for SS. I guess most people prefer blue steel.
Dorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:29 PM   #7
Drywall contractor

Taping Knives....

If you can wait for shipping time, go to All-Wall.com, they show several brands of 14" stainless knives. I've never used a 14", haven't seen the need, but they carry them from around $9.00 up.....
Old 05-20-2013, 05:25 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,326

Taping Knives....

Don't forget the mud pan also as most will not accommodate a 14" knife. A person that does a lot of finishing is continuously scrapping his knife on the side of the pan and over time this makes the knife more flexible. That is why a new knife always feels stiffer. When I used knifes and a bread pan I always went SS and 12" was as big as I went. But now that I've changed to hawk and trowel I use a 12 a 14 and a 16.
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:31 PM   #9

Taping Knives....

I ended up getting one at HD tonight. I didn't get a pan. I spread mud on the knife with a smaller knife that fits in the tub of mud.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:42 PM   #10
Drywall contractor

Taping Knives....

That's the other problem ToolSeeker pointed out. I doubt you will find a 14" pan other than on the internet or possibly at a drywall supply. I may be wrong, but I haven't seen one lately other than online. Have never seen a need for a 14", but if that's what "float's your boat" go for it! Seems like a lot of trouble the way you're going about it (putting the mud on the big knife with a smaller one). If it works for you though, that's what counts...
Old 05-20-2013, 09:06 PM   #11

Taping Knives....

It fits my closet extension project perfectly. It lets me make one sweep down a 12-1/4" wall instead of two which would create a ridge that I'd have to smooth out. On the other wall it's wide enough so I can run it down the existing wall and make the new section perfectly level with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Taping Knives....-taping-knife.jpg  
Old 05-20-2013, 09:14 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 548

Taping Knives....

Who uses a 14" knife? my standard set of knifes 4 inch for setting the tape 6" first coat 8" for second and 10 or 12" on the third coat and skim coat. 14 won't even fit in the mud pan.
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:35 PM   #13

Taping Knives....

These 14" pans are supposedly in stock at my local Home Depot. I saw a $5 plastic one too but I'm satisfied without one.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:10 PM   #14
Drywall contractor

Taping Knives....

Hard to find, but the pans (and knives) are available. As someone who uses finishing tools on a regular basis, I've never seen a need for a 14" knife, but if someone sees a need the tools are available. Not really sure I'd spend the money for such a specific use that the OP is suggesting... but it's not my call.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:47 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,326

Taping Knives....

Let me clarify something. A standard mud pan is 14" so it will accomodate a 12" knife. When we say a 14" pan what we mean is a pan that is for a 14" knife. A 14" knife will not fit in a 14" pan.

ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote