Tape Setting Idea - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-08-2010, 03:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Tape Setting Idea

Anybody ever use a seam roller or something of the like to set tape in? I've always had a hard time squeezing all the excess mud out and getting tape flat when taping two even, matched surfaces, i.e. where minimal buildup is prefered. Seems if I run the knife over enough times or press hard enugh to squeeze out all the excess mud, I start to rough up the tape and/or it starts to bunch and shift around.

Also, I wonder why they don't make extra thin tape or mesh for this situation. Probably have to be made out of a fancier material but I'd pay for it in this situation (repairs to otherwise fine plaster.)

Advertisement

Ptron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 03:42 PM   #2
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Tape Setting Idea

Take a look at this...

http://www.butttaper.com/nightmare.htm

Advertisement

Willie T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:01 PM   #3

Tape Setting Idea

I took a look at the BUTT TAPER system. And it does look cool - for 200 with shipping it is worth it if you do enough work to justify it. I'd probably have bought one 20 years ago. If you don't do alot of the drywalling tho - it seems to me that adding nailers to crooked joist/studs as needed and gluing and nailing on new work (ok Or screwing) is just as good as long as you make the area wider that you feather out. I just got into white coating everything. Even if i subbed it out, it was still cheap and does a great looking job. A plastered apperance. So just get into putting on that second coat like cream cheese with a knife and wider - heck you'll probably get into white coating too. One thing I did learn quickly was use sandpaper sparingly (cough cough)
Old 09-08-2010, 04:22 PM   #4
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Tape Setting Idea

If you are talking about normal butt joints, have you tried using "butt boards" and breaking your sheets between studs... not on them? It really works very well for keeping butt joints no wider than tapered edges.

Last edited by Willie T; 09-08-2010 at 04:29 PM.
Willie T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:26 PM   #5

Tape Setting Idea

Interesting, but I was talking about a flat surfaces, not corners. In my particular case I'm replacing large squares I cut out of plaster to do some electrical work.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:33 PM   #6

Tape Setting Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
If you are talking about normal butt joints, have you tried using "butt boards" and breaking your sheets between studs... not on them? It really works very well for keeping butt joints no wider than tapered edges.
I'm fixing access holes cut in plaster walls. No tapered edges. (I wish there were tapered edges to set the atape into). In some cases I'm replacing the missing plaster with drywall in other places I was able to salvage the plaster squares (it's plaster over drywall not plaster over lathe. Sounds weird but that's what it is and yes, it's original) so I end up with nice evenly matched surfaces just with a big square cut to patch over. Hence not wanting a lot of buildup of mud.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:10 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

Tape Setting Idea

lowes actually has a sticky paper tape on the shelf now. doesn't work worth a damn in corners but it does on flat joints. it's more expensive but does save you doing a set coat. it works basically like glass tape, just happens to be paper
racebum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:44 PM   #8
Phoenix

Tape Setting Idea

Anybody ever tried (plastic corner bead) spray ahesive to hold paper tape on before a first coat? It works.
Axecutioner-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:05 PM   #9

Tape Setting Idea

I tried the roller thing last night with a lint roller, heh heh. Not really the right tool but good enough to test the idea. It actually worked ok. Better than mangling the tape trying to squeeze out the excess mud and get it flat with a taping knife.

I think something like this would work pretty well. http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1541000...r.html?tp=2277
I think they're for inking engraved plates for prints or something like that.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:47 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 42

Tape Setting Idea

Ptron check out this thread for patching holes. Patching drywall with smaller piece
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 02:28 PM   #11

Tape Setting Idea

Just a heads up should anyone want to try this. Apparently the roller trick can work too well. I had a couple small spots where I must have squeezed out too much mud and the paper didn't stick. Like I said they were small spots, easily dealt with, and it only occured in a couple spots over five patches. Overall, I think it actually worked pretty well.

I've done that Chicago patch thing before. Very handy. Though I recall having a similar problem with squeezing the excess mud out without mangling the paper.

Advertisement