Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-26-2008, 02:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Superior Walls - Floating Corners & Drywall

My home has 9' high Superior Walls in the basement. This is pre-cast high density insulated concrete wall, with intigrated pre-cast high density concrete studs on 24" centers. (See http://www.superiorwalls.com/products_r5.php). I am in the process of finishing the basement and I have a problem determining how I will attach the drywall in the corners. The Superior Wall 'studs' have a 3/4" x 3' treated wood strip on their face for attaching drywall to. In the corners, there is not a standard stick wall corner. It is an open cavity with no where to attach the ends of the drywall where they meet in the corner. The corner cavity is formed when they butt the end of second wall onto the face of the first first wall and the cavity between the studs is open.

I can try to fabricate some sort of wood stud corner to attach the drywall to, or add some sort of furring strips to the edges of the drywall where they meet in the corners and attach them somehow.

Has anyone run into this problem? Any suggestions? Are there some sort of drywall corner clips that will hold the corners firmly together?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Woodcutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 02:22 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

You should have solid backing in all the corners. If this isn't feasible, there are clips that attach to the ends of the sheets but you will still have to land a fastener into the first wall. That may be a little tough since the furring strips are only 3/4", but give it a try first. It would be the easiest solution.
http://www.prest-on.com/Scripts/prod...p?idcategory=2

Last edited by jerryh3; 02-26-2008 at 02:25 PM.
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:07 PM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Is it possible to "Build out" the inside corners with PT Lumber to the point that you will have corners to fasten the sheetrock to?

Other than that, the clips would be your next options.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 01:29 PM   #4

The problem with trying to build out the corners is there is really nothing to anchor anything to. I am thinking that I might try to screw a 2x4 to the edge of the first sheet drywall, attach the clips to it and secure the second sheet to the clips. Or maybe even just screw two 2x4's together to form a 90 corner the attach the ends of the drywall to that with liquid nails and screws. That might be a good solution.

Regarding the clips, where do I buy them? I did not see them at Lowes or HD. Can they only be purchesed over the internet, at the site jerryh3 pasted in his reply?
Old 02-28-2008, 02:25 PM   #5
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodcutter View Post
....Regarding the clips, where do I buy them? I did not see them at Lowes or HD. Can they only be purchesed over the internet, at the site jerryh3 pasted in his reply?
You will have a hard time finding them. None of the big Home Improvement Stores carry them. Even the Drywall Supply warehouses we deal with, do not carry them.

Your best bet is to shop around online, and find a good place to order them from.

Good Luck.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 03:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodcutter View Post
The problem with trying to build out the corners is there is really nothing to anchor anything to. I am thinking that I might try to screw a 2x4 to the edge of the first sheet drywall, attach the clips to it and secure the second sheet to the clips. Or maybe even just screw two 2x4's together to form a 90 corner the attach the ends of the drywall to that with liquid nails and screws. That might be a good solution.

Regarding the clips, where do I buy them? I did not see them at Lowes or HD. Can they only be purchesed over the internet, at the site jerryh3 pasted in his reply?
They may be a little hard to find. Call a few building supply houses. If no luck, order them if you have to. A lot of online places have them. Also, check out: http://www.thenailer.com/index.html. I've never used these, but they may also be a solution to your problem.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:52 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

I'd call the people at superior and tell them that you have a house with one of their inferior walls systems, and what would they recommend that you do.
nacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 04:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacko View Post
I'd call the people at superior and tell them that you have a house with one of their inferior walls systems, and what would they recommend that you do.
What makes them inferior?
Old 06-07-2008, 07:06 AM   #9

These walls are great in the fact that I do not have to spend any money on framing out exterior walls. Also the space is retained.

Woodcutter, have you finished your basement. I am working on mine now:
Basement Finish With Superiorwalls
bkeech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:05 AM   #10

bkeech: I'm moving at a snails pace - this is a true DIY project. So far, things have progressed well. The interior framing, wiring, insulation and HVAC are completed and inspected. I am ready to start the drywall now, but, with summer here, I have shifted my focus to yardwork and landscaping. Once that is done, I'll get back to drywalling the basement in ernest. I want to have it all completed before the winter holidays. I'll let you know how the drywall goes, especially those corners I have been concerned about. In the mean time, please let me know how it goes for you. I'll try to look in on your post from time to time too.

Thanks, Woodcutter
Old 08-08-2008, 09:24 PM   #11

Woodcutter: My superiorwalls have cut outs in the corner for a 2x4 and a 2x2. I was going to use those to block out the corners. Is that what you did? What did you do where a interior wall fell between the superiorwall studs?
Old 08-11-2008, 07:31 AM   #12

I have not started the drywall, been busy finishing summer landscape projects, etc. I am about to get back to the basement now. I'll have to look at these corners again. I do recall seeing some sort of notching in the corners, but did not try to fit anything in them. Thanks for the heads up.

As far as interior walls butting up between the studs of the Superior wall, I cut two small pieces of 3/4 plywood, approximately 3.5" x 3.5", just big enough to cover the end of two - 2x4's. Then I cut and attached a piece of 2x4 between them so that the total length fit snugly between the two superior studs. The 2x4 is positioned towards the back of the cavity. I attached the front edges of the 3/4" plywood to sides of the facing on the studs, so that the leading edge of the plywood anchor is flush with the front of the stud. I put one at the header, one at the floor and one midway. Once that is secured, I then attached a verticle 2x6 onto the face of the 2x4, which should be flush with the face of the existing studs. Install the 2x6 so that you can center the wall you are butting up to it, with enough space on either side to anchor the drywall that will cover the superior wall. Like I said, I have not hung any drywall yet, but I did install these brackets and the walls and they are solid, with plenty of room to attach the drywall in the corners.

Let me know how it goes and I'll do the same.

Woodcutter
Old 08-11-2008, 04:58 PM   #13

Thanks for the description. I think I am seeing it in my mind. When you have a chance if you could show me a picture that would be cool.

Thanks,
Bryan
Old 10-23-2009, 07:53 AM   #14

i just wanted to post a different response than what was already added. I had a guy tell me for inside corners on superior walls to use metal studs. what you do is determine the length of what you would need to fold it in half to create a 90* bend. do this by cutting a "V" out in the middle Then on the end you cut the inside area on the top and bottom to the face of the metal stud to create a Longer FLAT tab. Fasten the tabs to the superior studs and you can also stand a 2x4 vertically behind the inside corners to give vertical support and fasten the metal stud corners to the 2x's.

hope this isnt clear as mud for you all.

Jeremy
Jwilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:47 AM   #15

The solution to this problem is much simpler than you might expect. The trick is to install a 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" formed angle (used in metal framing) to the back edge of the panel that has been installed @ the corner. Your next panel will fasten to the projection. When done, you will have a corner that is as strong as a Brick S/house

extinknocker is offline   Reply With Quote