Sunken Water Damaged Drywall Ceiling - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-08-2013, 04:58 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

sunken water damaged drywall ceiling

How do I repair without to much fuss, the house has tenants who use the lounge room where the ceiling is damaged. They don't want to be put out too much with ripping ceilings down, re sheeting, waiting for joints to dry then have to wait on painters to finish off.
Water got into the ceiling cavity through broken tiles, the ceiling has dropped and cracked over approx 2-3sq metres.
I am pretty handy have fixed major holes in drywall with packing out the back of the hole then filling in with new cornice cement.
So that I don't have to replace the cornice I am thinking of getting an acro prop and getting some lengths of 4x2 timber across the top of the prop to even out the pressure and to push the ceiling back up. Then refixing with drywall screws and filling in the cracks with fibreglass tape or fibreglass repair kit. Then giving the ceiling a good coat of cornice cement (dries faster) then a fine coat to level and finish off. It may be easier to patch but I think the old stuff is thicker and I may have to pack and create new timber frame for fixing Has anyone done this before and any advice about whether I will get the plaster back fairly level with acro prop will be appreciated Jules

Advertisement

byjiar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:26 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 678

One place you say it's drywall the next it's plaster, which is it.
If it's drywall your wasting your time trying to lift it and rescrew it and you will have mold growing on the back side of it.

Advertisement

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:09 AM   #3

Thanks for reply it is drywall sheeting, does it crack and break when you try to push it back up?
Other than that, I have been re thinking the job and I have a tool which I can use to cut the old sheet out with. How far from the cornice edge should I cut?
I suppose it depends on where the ceiling joists are?
How good a finish does one get with installing a new piece of drywall, tapeing and filling it in with jointing compound? I am a bit of a perfectionist and hate to see join marks.
Your help and advice is appreciated.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:29 AM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

Tell them sorry charlie, they have to be displaced. If the extent of the damage goes into the sleeping areas, you as a good landlord issue vouchers for them to stay at the Red Roof, or Sleep-inn for a couple of nights, while you have your guys fix the damage and remove any mold damage they find when ripping out the damaged sections of Gypsum.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:07 PM   #5
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,044

If it is still somewhat damp, it might push back up. But then when you try to reattach it, the fasteners likely will not hold unless you prop it up until it is completely dry. (There goes the "quick fix".) AND if there is blown insulation above, it is now between the rock and the joist so it will NOT push back up. Sorry not sure how big an area we're talking (a meter is around a foot??), but professional could demo and finish the patchwork in a day (or less) using quick setting compound. Painting might be another day as you would need to paint the entire room for the paint to match. But you could put the room back into use for the night. Don't see where any framing would be affected where it would need replacing. Some pictures might help to get a better idea what you're dealing with....
Old 03-18-2013, 06:25 AM   #6

Thanks for your replies, I will get someone to cut out and patch, that way at least I knowthe new stuff will be fixed back properly. Thanks again Jules
Old 03-18-2013, 08:13 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,686

Quote:
Originally Posted by byjiar View Post
Thanks for your replies, I will get someone to cut out and patch, that way at least I knowthe new stuff will be fixed back properly. Thanks again Jules
G'day Mate

Advertisement

ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote