Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-30-2012, 05:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

strapping / furring

Can 1/2" thick furring / strapping be used for securing drywall on a interior wall (not ceiling).

I am afraid it would split if I drive dry wall screw in it but nailing is fine?

I have 16" on center studs and want to secure the drywall every 24" on center instead.

Therefore I have to install 1/2" strapping / furring horizontally first and secured them to the 16" studs. Then my drywall screws can be anywhere on horizontally.

1/2" is the thickness I can go, will it split if I use screws or should I nail the drywall?

kingofmycastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:53 PM   #2

strapping / furring

why would you want to secure it every 24" and not just on the studs?

mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:51 PM   #3

strapping / furring

Because the rigid insulation board from owen corning insulpink provides a channel 1" deep for strapping/furring but at every 24".
kingofmycastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:16 PM   #4
retired union carpenter

Send a message via Yahoo to coupe
Question

strapping / furring

Quote:
Originally Posted by king of my castle View Post
Because the rigid insulation board from owen corning insulpink provides a channel 1" deep for strapping/furring but at every 24".
I"m lost, as to why you can only go 1/2"? this wont work in any way! #1- the thickness of the rigid board will determine the amount of wall thickness. #2- if the channel is 1" deep? and you only fill it with 1/2"? there is a 1/2" void, will make for a very wavy wall. something has to bend that 1/2" most likely the weakest point! the drywall paper, if you use any type of one direction grained furring strips? they'll likely split if you screw them? pulling the strips in that 1/2". = constant pressure on screw heads. as soon as they're properly sunk, will pop through the paper. if you try to nail? in center between studs? will be springy, each time you hit the nail, the gypsum inside will crack, each crack will separate the paper from gypsum. when you try to get nail dimpled for mudding, last hit will pull nail through the paper.

you're looking at every nail/screw popping soon, where not driven into the studs that are already there!

in my opinion, a lot of work putting up furring strips= absolutely no gain? only a lot of future problems.

good luck
coupe is offline   Reply With Quote