Strange Bumps (not Nail Pops) On Ceiling Drywall - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-29-2012, 10:50 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Strange bumps (not nail pops) on ceiling drywall

I have a ceiling area in my dining room that has some strange bumps - see photos below. These are randomly spaced in an area about 3 feet wide - not even like nail head pop and the area up stairs above the ceiling shouldn't have water. There are no water stains on the drywall.

The house has been vacant at times with the A/C off - so it has been exposed to heat at times. However, these same bumps do not appear to be located in other parts of the house. The house was built in 1987 and was freshly painted in 2005.

Any ideas what might cause these?

Thanks for any ideas.

Advertisement

davidarlington1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:26 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,448

Looks to me like bubbles in the paint, otherwise just appears to be a bad job in applying the stippling texture to the ceiling. Probably has been there for some time.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:49 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

There were not bubbles when first applied - seems to have developed over time. Also, there was no on purpose texturing - I think he used a spray painter and all of the rest of the house appears fine and this same guy has done other ceilings for me with nothing like this developing.
davidarlington1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:27 PM   #4
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,214

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidarlington1 View Post
There were not bubbles when first applied - seems to have developed over time. Also, there was no on purpose texturing - I think he used a spray painter and all of the rest of the house appears fine and this same guy has done other ceilings for me with nothing like this developing.
Did you ask him?
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:43 PM   #5
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,516

Looks like Mars...
The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (05-29-2012)