Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-20-2011, 10:05 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Step by step on hanging around a tub

Was wondering if you have a website, or can post step by step directions on hanging cement board around a bathtub my husband and I will be putting into our bathroom today? Need to know things about code, preparing for tile, how far off the tub it should be, shimming the walls, do I pack the gap from the tub to cement board with mud, mortar from tile, tap it???? What is this redgaurd I hear of?

I am very visual, if you have links with photos I would love you forever!

We had to take the old tub out, it was a solid tub and wall thing, so it not like we can 'undo' what we did to figure this out.

I don't know if it maters but we are going with the Bootz Maui tub, http://www.homedepot.com/Bath-Bath-T...atalogId=10053

IRuehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:24 AM   #2
Tileguy

Step by step on hanging around a tub

The tub fits to the studs. It is rare when a tub actually fits the studs on all three sides. So...The cement board should be installed so-as to stop at the top of the lip (not the top of the tub). But not before a moisture barrier is applied to the studs. This way the board won't curve over the lip and create issues.

The wall/tub gap can be filled with thinset mortar (as you tile) and the tile would then stop within 1/8" of the tub rim. That juncture would also be caulked after completing the grouting of the tile.

Okay backing up a little: The moisture barrier can be made of plastic sheeting or roofing felt.

Now...there will be seams in the wallboard in some cases and they require "alkali resistant" seam tape. You would then fill the seam voids with thinset as you install the tile.

The use of Redgard (a liquid waterproofing) changes things slightly
Redgard (if used) would be applied to the surface of the cement board. If Redgard is used you would be able to forgo the moisture barrier on the studs, the Redgard would replace the moisture barrier and move the barrier to the surface of the wallboard. This is in my opinion the best method.

But...if you use Redgard on the surface of the cement board you would first have to tape any wallboard seams with the alkali resistant tape and fill the seams with thinset and allow it all to dry thoroughly. Then coat the walls with Redgard.

I have distractions right now so if this sounds screwy it probably is.

Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote