Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-23-2010, 08:37 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Starting square

This is probably a stupid question but.....I am going to be drywalling my basement in the new year. It is a L shaped room, approximately 700 sq feet. I have read alot about making sure the first sheet applied, either on the ceiling or wall, needs to be square. My question is how important is that, so the remaining are square, and how do you ensure that. Do you chalk a line, use a square, do you cut edges away to make square etc....Thanks

mort5029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:14 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,086

Starting square

It sounds like you have the right tools in mind, and my guess is that you know how to do the layout, so I will keep this as brief as possible, but yes, it makes the whole rest of the job a lot easier, and as enjoyable as drywalling can be for a DIYer, if you start out square. The thing that you'll want to focus primarily on is the longest wall that is perpendicular to your joists, as that is where I would start hanging it. If that wall is straight, and parallel to the joists, you should be able to start hanging drywall. If it bows in, mark your joists 48" plus an eighth, or whatever you need to allow all of that first row to line up. Your side walls shouldn't really matter, as long as the room is relatively square. The only other thing that I would look at, in an L shaped space, is how the sheets will fall where they meet the opposite corner. If you are going to have, as an example, a 1" sliver at that corner, I would probably slice something like 6" off of the first row, in order to eliminate that problem. Sounds like a good winter project!

DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote