Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-05-2011, 09:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Start with walls or ceiling

Simple question for an expert, but of course I am a newbie and haven't drywalled before. I have a rectangular shaped room. Should I drywall the walls then the ceiling or does it matter?

oscarmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:13 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,366

Ceiling first---then walls---faster and easier.

Set wall sheets horizontally for the best installation. Full sheets with taper to taper butt to butt.

Old 09-06-2011, 06:22 AM   #3

Thank you
Old 09-06-2011, 07:17 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

Personally, i would do the ceiling first. I would also run furring straps perpendicular to the rafters before I started.
1910NE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:35 PM   #5

Mike, on this thread a member referred to ferring straps. What are those? If I went to home depot, would they know what I was talking about?
Old 09-06-2011, 07:50 PM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarmw View Post
Mike, on this thread a member referred to ferring straps. What are those? If I went to home depot, would they know what I was talking about?
I hope Mike meant firring strips, not straps. Fur and furring straps are for the totally kinky and I do not go there.

They are just thin slices of lumber used to adjust camber differences along your joists or wall framing to give you as nice and even a surface as possible to hang drywall or whatever.

Getting them from HD? She in the orange apron you ask might know what they are if her Mom or Dad had trade experience, the breakup with her boyfriend over the weekend was not upsetting her so, the nail glue is working and she is not so angry the minimum wage she was making last week as an expert in the plumbing, paint or electrical section got docked just because she was late every day what with hair issues. Don't even ask her 19 yo male counterpart in the orange apron.

Ferring strips are not complicated but you will have to draw or paint a picture to the folks at HD. It will take you as long as it takes to park your car or truck to score a bundle at a real building supply store. If you have a friend nearby with a table saw and you can scrounge some building site lumber you can cut your own. They are just 1/4" or so slices of timber the depth or so of your joists or studs. The nice thing about cutting your own? You can adjust the thickness as needed.

Your butcher at the grocery store could use the meat slicer to crank some out faster than dealing with HD though. And the answer is maybe the contractor counter people will know what you are asking for but nobody will have checked the bundle and most will be unusable when you cut the band and things spring in all directions.

You will need some 6-8 pennie flat headed nails to go with the strips. They will be with nails, not with the coin counter at HD as may be suggested to you. You will see them marked as 6p or 8p.

Last edited by user1007; 09-06-2011 at 08:03 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:18 PM   #7

Your hilarious
Old 09-06-2011, 08:25 PM   #8

More questions about drywall mounting. Remember I am a infant in this area.
What is the technique for cutting holes in the drywall for electrical outlets?
Do you set the sheet of drywall up to the area to be mounted and mark the drywall sheet (an estimate) or should you try to make careful measurements from the unfinished wall or ceiling, then mark the unmounted drywall sheet? Maybe there are some Internet videos that you recommend.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:37 PM   #9
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Quote:
Yes.

At Home Depot 1"x2"x8' Firring Strips are 85 cents each. The SKU# is 160954.

At Home Depot 1"x3"x8' Firring Strips are $1.25 each. The SKU# is 164704.

(Sdsester seems to be describing "SHIMS", not Firring Strips.)

BTW, 1910NE is describing a method of "STRAPPING" the entire ceiling with a whole bunch of 'strips' of 3/4" pieces of wood. They go across the bottoms of the joists, and they run 90 degrees to the joists. When done right, it makes a perfectly FLAT ceiling, and it also helps prevent some cracks. This is an excellent method, but really requires that you thoroughly understand what you are doing. Not something a beginner would want to tackle.

Last edited by Willie T; 09-06-2011 at 08:53 PM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:33 PM   #10

Drywall ceiling first as the walls will then support the ceiling's perimeter for less tape cracks from truss uplift-- called a "floating corner" here, (strapping is also covered): http://gypsum.org/pdf/GA-216-2010.html

Read all of these tips: http://www.finehomebuilding.com/PDF/Free/021174058.pdf

http://bestdrywall.com/files/ReduceCallbacks.pdf

Gary
Willie T (09-07-2011)
Old 09-06-2011, 10:58 PM   #11
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
More questions about drywall mounting. Remember I am a infant in this area.
What is the technique for cutting holes in the drywall for electrical outlets?
Do you set the sheet of drywall up to the area to be mounted and mark the drywall sheet (an estimate) or should you try to make careful measurements from the unfinished wall or ceiling, then mark the unmounted drywall sheet? Maybe there are some Internet videos that you recommend.
Nope, don't worry about it. Any responsible drywaller will just tell you not to worry so much. If the inspector notices an outlet box was drywalled over? Just dig around with a rat tail drywall file until you find it.

Seriously, Measure, measure again, and again.

Or. There are these kits that are cool. Don't trust me because apparently I described shims and ferring strips as one in the same. Yup last batch I got stuck with, 6' feet long, really did slow me down squaring a door frame.

You stick this glob of metal in your electrical box. You run a magnet over it and find the center even with drywall in place. I measure but you might like it.

I have a little drywall router thing. Once I find the general location I measured I poke it in, run it around the edges of the electrical boxes or vents and what do you know? A nice clean opening.

Some of my drywall contractors knew I trained as a painter so they liked seeing me fixing their crappy assed hacked out work with 5 minute compound. Never on a job for my client though.

The rototool thing will set you back $70 for one like I had with a drywall bit. Retail things you can use for other purposes are like $39 or something. Probably $20 at Harbor Freight or someplace like that.

Will search and post pictures for you.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:22 PM   #12
Too Short? Cut it Again!

This is the magnet thing that reminds you where you left electrical boxes, if you did measure and you stuck electrical boxes outside of code and nowhere near where they have to be to pass inspection.

http://samplerewards.com/index.cfm?f...roduct_ID=2136

Mine's older, a bit more robust but this is what plunge drywall routers look like. If you marked where special vents are and your electrical boxes are even close to the code framing? Carve out perfect box holes in seconds.

http://www.google.com/search?tbm=isc...1953l0.3.6l9l0

Then if you work with Killer Klowns from Outer Space that like to have fun with me? They bring this. "If you say it is here boss, we will find that outlet or switch box you say we forgot to mark and drywalled over! Give us a minute. You know about 5 minute durabond right!? And you can buy coverplates in supersize? We rely on them all the time!"

Last edited by user1007; 09-06-2011 at 11:43 PM.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:37 AM   #13

Another classic-sdsester
Old 09-09-2011, 09:30 PM   #14

Another rookie question from the newbie

This seems to be the logical sequence to drywall

Mount the electrical boxes, run the electric wire into the boxes, screw in the drywall to the studs, locate and cut out the form of the electrical boxes, install the receptacles and lights.
Is this the sequence you use?
Old 09-09-2011, 10:09 PM   #15
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Quote:
Another rookie question from the newbie

This seems to be the logical sequence to drywall

Mount the electrical boxes, run the electric wire into the boxes, screw in the drywall to the studs, locate and cut out the form of the electrical boxes, install the receptacles and lights.
Is this the sequence you use?
No, I measure for and cut the electric holes, A/C holes, etc. while the sheet of D/W is still leaning against the pile.

Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote