DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Spraycan orange peel.

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Beepster 
#1 ·
Attached is a pic of my ceiling. Not the best, but what I have a a little one inch wide ridge that runs a few feet along the ceiling in a couple places. This was like this when we moved in.

I have read a little about the orange peel spray cans and am going to give them a try.

MY Question: after i chip of the ridges, do I fill the 1/16th or so "hole" with mud, or just spray over the "hole"? I have seen where paint has been applied over chipped off paint and the "hole" shows through no matter how many layers. The ceiling is plaster and i am going to paint the whole ceiling once I fix this crack.

B

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
A little bit more to it. First don't chip, sand. And the biggest mistake is trying to keep the area small. If you try to chip and just fill this small hole and then texture you will build up the surrounding texture and it will show more than the little ridge you are trying to eliminate.
Sand down the ridge and an area around it at least 6 to 8" sand this area smooth. Then prime the area. My advice is get the can of orange peel that has the adjustable nozzle because orange peel comes in different sizes. Get some cardboard and practice till you get the size that best fits. Apply in a circular motion this allows you to feather out the texture so you do not get the build up around the edges.

#3 ·
I think I will have to practice on a piece of drywall in the garage first.

Basically these are loose pieces of paint that have let go from the plaster for one reason or another. I think I have to at least chip away what is loose. After that i will sand down at least the edges.

Once the orange peel has been sprayed on, do i do anything to it? Roller with a big nap? The product I was looking at at my big box store still looked to "bubbly", even at its finest setting. Sand afterwards to bring the "bubbles" down?

B

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.