Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-15-2010, 03:38 PM   #1
Advertising Photographer

Share |

Spray Texture for Drywall...

I have recently pulled of the 12x12 linoleum tiles above my countertops in the kitchen leaving a pretty uneven surface on the wall. If I sand down the wall and remove excess glue, will I have to spray texture the wall before painting?

greylockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 06:10 PM   #2

It sounds as if you have undone one of the most economical backsplash solutions mankind has conceived.

I have seen this before... do you have any backsplash...? 4" ? was this 12x12 floor tile above that?

You can scrape as smooth as you can... skim coat to get as smooth as you can.. if not smooth enough... then texture to your hearts desire...prime & paint.

There are other solutions... depends on the look you want and how much you want to spend.

Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 06:18 PM   #3
Advertising Photographer

The 12" x 12" linoleum was atleast 20 years old and I couldn't bare to look at it anymore. I'm just going to scrape, hand sand, and paint. Thanks....
greylockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 11:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylockwood View Post
I have recently pulled of the 12x12 linoleum tiles above my countertops in the kitchen leaving a pretty uneven surface on the wall. If I sand down the wall and remove excess glue, will I have to spray texture the wall before painting?
If the surrounding wall has texture on it, you'll want to match it, right? What kind of texture is in the surrounding wall? Is it "orange peel", or "Knock down" texture?

Orange peel texture is the easiest to match, because all you have to do is spray it on and set the nozzle to spray the right size. With Knock Down texture, you have to spray it on and then spread a "knock down knife" over it to create that "flat" texture.

I'm a novice myself, I've used the orange peel texture a handful of times when patching walls in my house. Texture is good. It hides imperfections.

Homer
homerb is offline   Reply With Quote