DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Drywall & Plaster (
-   -   Special fired rated drywall needed behind electric range? (

Adatwist 06-12-2012 11:00 AM

Special fired rated drywall needed behind electric range?

I'm currently in the process of renovating my kitchen. I will need to cut a few holes behind the range to run electrical up to install an hood fan. Currently the existing drywall looks like there is a layer of white sandy material behind it with specks of possible vermiculite, my best guess, being used for fire protection.

My question is, can I patch up the holes with polyfilla? Is polyfilla fire rated? or do I need to cut out a section of the drywall the size of the range and replace it with another type of fire-rated material? if so what type of material? I rather not cut out the existing to limit the chance of exposure to asbestos in case it has it. Also, there's wood panelling on the other side of the wall.

What's the best way to go about this or is there not enough heat generated from a range to worry about this?


Evstarr 06-12-2012 11:29 AM

If it were my house, I would mix up batch of dura bond 20 a bit stiff and fill the holes to just a fraction below the surface in the morning. Then coffee and a bagel. Then mix another small batch and embed mesh tape in it to cover the holes and feather it out with a steel float. Then after lunch, hit the area with a good quality primer. Then paint at your leisure any time after the next morning.

gailquilter2 07-02-2012 08:39 PM

I'm going to put up a removable backsplash behind my range, tile. Removable so if I change the wallpaper I can easily replace the backsplash.
Also rather handy for cleaning gunk off of it, lay it down on the counter. Spaghetti sauce splash collector I call them.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:16 AM.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1