Is Spackling Paste The Best To Use On Drywall? - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-01-2010, 03:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Is spackling paste the best to use on drywall?

Oh my gosh! Word of advice to those of you that want to install metal shelves in closets.....NEVER use them if you think you "might" take them down in YOUR life time!

I didn't even put these up and I LOATH them! What I thought would be a 30 minute job (at the most) has taken me most of the day to do! I broke my drill and started using the Boss's (my husband)------I know! But, I was desparate!

So, is spackling paste the best to use for these ugly holes in my wall? It says to let it set over night. Will that be long enough so I can paint tomorrow?

Advertisement

downrightart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 04:19 PM   #2
Military Mom of 4

Rewards Points: 500

Spackle paste is for small areas that need to be patched - would be ideal for your purpose. It comes in small tubes and plastic containers - let dry for 24 hours before painting if the holes are relatively small, if they're bigger (1/2" or larger) you might want to let set for 36 hours.

Mud (joint compound) is for larger areas (if this is on your mind as a possible-substance to use) it would work to fill small holes but it's unnecessary and I don't think it's even available in small quantities.

Advertisement

Old 04-01-2010, 04:29 PM   #3

Well, I ended up having to pull some of them out with the end of a hammer. I don't think any of them are more than an inch, but it did tear some. I really wanted to paint in the morning, but I will wait. I'd rather it look nice.

I happen to have spackling on hand, that's why I asked.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:43 PM   #4

DAG GUM IT!!!!

I had two jars of Spackle and they are both dry. I suppose they aren't salvageable?
Old 04-01-2010, 09:42 PM   #5
Learning by Doing

Rewards Points: 2,000

OK - It's time for a deep breath. Angry and frustrated at 4:30pm is the WORST time to try DIYing successfully. Deep breath. Come back to it tomorrow. I know you hate loosing the time, but a good hour spent working is 45 minutes of planning and 15 minutes of work.

I'm sure once you get your closet put back together you will love it and be so proud that you did it yourself. Don't worry about using husband's tools, just make sure you put them back - and get yourself some descent tools of your own if he can't share (mine are much nicer than my husband's now - and I DON'T SHARE with him, cause he doesn't put mine back).

Take pictures once you're done and post them for bragging rights.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:58 AM   #6
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,234

Let me add that regular spackling paste is OK for very small nail holes and that is about it. You can get regular drywall "mud" in small containers @ the big box places that would work much better, or this product which is called "spackling" but is heavy duty and also lets you know when it is dried.
Attached Images

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 04:47 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

I have b een a contractor in the painting feild for 24 years, there are lots of ways to repIR HOLES BUT THE BEST IS USING QUICK DRYING DRY MIX COMPOUND BY SHEETROCK BRAND. It comes in an easy sand and dries in as fast as 20 min.
willwham1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 07:46 AM   #8

Thanks everyone!

Leah Frances, I loved the relaxation exercise! I've had my own tools for years, and you are right, the Boss never puts them back when using them!! Actually I bought him that heavy duty drill because he was using mine! I put it back before he got home and he never knew the difference. Most of the cool tools we have, I purchased them. I hate borrowing other people's stuff!

Willwham, I'll look for that dry mix brand. Thanks so much for the painter's tip!

Thanking everyone again. I just realized I have two threads on this ONE project here!

You betchya I'll post pics! Taking cabinet doors off, sanding them, priming them TWICE, painting them with two coats, and hanging them back up was easier than this one little closet is going! You just never know what kind of DIY fun is lying in wait for ya! :D
Old 04-02-2010, 05:49 PM   #9
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,044

I have never used spackle, but when I have seen where it has been used, the results were not what I would deem acceptable....
Old 04-02-2010, 08:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjbatlanta View Post
I have never used spackle, but when I have seen where it has been used, the results were not what I would deem acceptable....
I've used it many times. What happens is that if it's not completely dry, your paint job is going to stink big time!

I purchased the pink drydex this time. Still made by Dap. When the pink becomes white, it's ready to paint. Or so it reads! This is my first time and I'll let ya'll know!
Old 04-02-2010, 08:43 PM   #11
Learning by Doing

Rewards Points: 2,000

I like the pink stuff. I also like the 'setting' compounds for their quick dry time, but for patching some holes I wouldn't bother mixing up a tray.
Old 04-03-2010, 04:41 AM   #12
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah Frances View Post
I like the pink stuff. I also like the 'setting' compounds for their quick dry time, but for patching some holes I wouldn't bother mixing up a tray.

Advertisement

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote