Soundproofing A Wall.. Quietrock? - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-26-2016, 04:57 PM   #1

Soundproofing a wall.. Quietrock?

I bought a condo last month and quickly realized that my bedroom and the neighbors bedroom share a wall and they are paper-thin. Unfortunately, I can hear everything that goes on in their room from their tv to them talking at normal levels. I even switched around my room and put my headboard on the opposite wall and put my TV on the shared wall but I can still hear them pretty clearly. I'd rather not resort to banging on the wall when they get noisy nor do I want to be a bother to them so I've been doing a bit of research on soundproofing that wall.

I have read about Quietrock and think that do the trick but I've read some reviews that said it didn't work. I'd like to find out whether that was because it was installed incorrectly or if it truly does not do as it says. Does anyone have experience using Quietrock and what were your results? Or if anyone has tried another method for soundproofing, I'd love to hear about it!

As Quietrock is considerably more expensive than normal drywall, I don't want to invest so much money if it will not likely fix my problem.

Thank you!

Advertisement

Apola253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 05:35 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 14,014

Re: Soundproofing a wall.. Quietrock?

https://www.soundproofingcompany.com...roofing-walls/

Advertisement

Old 10-26-2016, 08:36 PM   #3
Drywall and Painting Pro

Rewards Points: 918

@Apola253 , I've had success soundproofing an existing wall to help reduce noise by installing Gold Bond BRAND 5/8″ SoundBreak XP Gypsum Board and Green Glue Compound and Sealant over the old drywall.

I did a blog on my website with instructions and links to all of the products I used. Here's the link: http://peckdrywallandpainting.com/so...-reduce-noise/

And if the noise is really bad you can first add resilient metal channel and then add the Green Glue and SoundBreak Drywall.

Hope that helps, -Paul
Sir MixAlot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2016, 08:47 PM   #4
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 1,984

All of this assumes that you are allowed by your condo corp. to do work such as this, which is not likely the case, but certainly not without their approval.
lenaitch is online now   Reply With Quote