Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-12-2012, 10:26 PM   #1

Share |

soundproofing my shared wall

I’m in a recently purchased semi-detached with a shared wall made of cinderblock with plaster directly over. There’s no separation and no room for separation as the staircase is against the shared wall and the stringer permits 1 1/2” of space to work with. I’m thinking of placing quietrock with greenglue on top of the plaster. These are my concerns…

1. Is some degree of dead air needed? I know I’ll still get walking up and down stairs and dropping of stuff noise but will I no longer be able to have conversations through the shared wall?

2. Would green glue with normal drywall be sufficient – am I waiting $$ on QR?

3. Does green glue work with ˝” plaster?

Please advise as this is a job that needs to be done right the first time due to $ constraints and the fact my neighbours are screamers with five young kids—no joke!!

Mark

shimmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:40 PM   #2
DIY staff

I'm just answering to bump this to the top----that 1 1/2" space is the difficult part---I've sound proofed a couple of places but always had room for dead air space----

Let's see what others have to say-----Mike----

Old 11-12-2012, 11:01 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Interesting challenge. It would be nice to have some airspace but you don't. You also are facing trying to deaden noise after it has entered and reverberated in the cinderblock. You would be better off if you could install on their side of the problem!

In any event, I did not know your budget but Google (or whatever search engine) for wall mounted sound baffles. Some are much more effective even in a thin profile than most sound drywall products like quietrock. There are different configurations for different purposes that will fit in the space you have.

I would be a little reluctant to use an adhesive on your plaster, especially until you are sure the panels help, so explore your other fastening options.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:31 AM   #4

Quote:
In any event, I did not know your budget but Google (or whatever search engine) for wall mounted sound baffles. Some are much more effective even in a thin profile than most sound drywall products like quietrock. There are different configurations for different purposes that will fit in the space you have.
I'm not sure what baffles you are referring to that actually block sound transmission or isolate walls from vibration, but you have to be careful that you are using something that doesn't just absorb sound, because this will do nothing for you in this application.

Green Glue will help reduce how much airborne sound you hear coming through the wall- there is also a comparable damping compound called Quiet Glue Pro from Quiet Rock that offers slightly higher STC, or soundproofing ratings and actually tends to be a little cheaper. If you want to reduce footfall or 'dropping things' noise you need to look for products with IIC ratings like floor underlayments.
asolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:17 PM   #5

Thanks for the advice on QuietGlue -- I'll look into it. Unfortunatly my neighbours have neither the desire or resources to go do work on their side.
shimmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:40 PM   #6

If they don't wish to cooperate, then I think I would invest in a sound level meter and phone the cops a few times.

Then pitch the shared solution to quite the connecting wall again
Evstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:51 PM   #7
Estimator & Draftsmen

There are a few different methods and products you can use to quiet the noise. Some easier and cheaper than others. First question is how much noise? is it regular talking you can hear, loud T.V/Stereo. Just curious because this helps to gauge the STC rating of the current wall and what you are trying to achieve.

If you have 1 1/2" to play with. I would consider installing a RC-1 resilient channel to the existing wall then mount new drywall. You could also add a layer of 440 homosote sound board to help dissipate the noise. Be sure to use a Sound attenuation caulking on your seams and perimeter.

Last edited by CanAmGuy; 11-14-2012 at 12:55 PM.
CanAmGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:15 AM   #8

Since it is a cinder block wall could you not drill a hole at or near the top then put foam or some such material thru the hole thus filling the cavities in the block. Then all you would have to do is repair the small holes.

ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote