Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-12-2011, 09:33 AM   #1

Share |

Something peeling off the wall

As i said in the intro thread i have a 55 year old house that needs some work. the newest project is to paint the kitchen. The only problem with this is we have several cracks in the dry wall/plaster/sheet rock or whatever it is. Just wondering what would be the best thing to do with this. as you can tell from above I don't really know what I am looking at so I took pictures that you can see below. Most of the cracks are bubbles so you can press them in a little which is why I didn't want to just putty over them but if that is what needs to be done that is fine. let me know what you think!

2011-01-11 11.53.39 by preludetospeed, on Flickr

2011-01-11 11.53.52 by preludetospeed, on Flickr

2011-01-11 11.54.57 by preludetospeed, on Flickr

preludetospeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:23 AM   #2

That looks like plaster. I would remove it all…

epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by epson View Post
That looks like plaster. I would remove it all…
This.

After repairing several holes, when I was doing my kitchen remodel, I realized it was faster and easier just to tear everything out and put up new drywall.
suprvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:08 PM   #4

Or scrape off all the loose plaster you can and then build up with a setting type drywall compound.

I'd pull it all back to the studs. But not knowing what else is in the area, hard to say.
williamwiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 06:23 PM   #5

Plaster usually will start failing after 50 years. Any patching will look fine until the rest of the plaster cracks out. Removing it is a very dirty and difficult job. But not impossible.

You can go over top of it with new sheetrock. But then theres the issue of doors and window moldings, as well as cabinets.

It appears to me that the finish coat of plaster is coming loose from the base coat. The base coat is probably going over lath.

Last edited by redmanblackdog; 01-12-2011 at 06:28 PM.
redmanblackdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:37 PM   #6

Definately plaster seperating. Ripping it all out and replacing with drywall is a dirty job but will be worth it in the end. If your working on an exterior wall you can upgrade the insulation while your at it.
A larger field of view in a photo may allow a better assesment of the work to be done and a more varied input

masterofall is offline   Reply With Quote