DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Drywall & Plaster (
-   -   Somebody knocked a hole in the wall through the kitchen cabinets (

SpaceCoast 07-08-2013 04:22 AM

Somebody knocked a hole in the wall through the kitchen cabinets
There is a large hole in the drywall/sheetrock through the kitchen cabinets. So both the wood of the cabinets and the sheetrock is knocked through. How Do I repair this? I do not think just nailing another piece of wood in there is good enough as it will mean that the cabinets/wood will not be insulated and probably exposed to moisture and/or temperature change. I can see the brick exterior right through the hole. How do I repair this? It is about a 1 ft by 8 inch hole.

Do I need to cut the wood from the cabinets further to give space for taping?

wkearney99 07-08-2013 10:17 AM

What caused the damage? Because there may be other issues with the integrity of the cabinet box too. It would likely be better to remove the cabinet and fix the wall properly.

Update your profile with a location, it helps with location-specific advice

joecaption 07-08-2013 10:22 AM

A hole in the back of the cabinets not going to have any effect on it. It's done all the time to run water and drain lines.
Got a picture?
I'd just worry about patching the wall behind the cabinets.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:40 AM.

Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved