Soaking Wet Corner Of Room After Shower. Mold Concerns? - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-10-2014, 12:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 31

Soaking wet corner of room after shower. Mold concerns?

Hi,

We have a 5' x 12' (9' ceiling) full bath that I just recently began to use because of a discovered leak in the bathroom above it. The leak in the bathroom above has since been addressed, although I notice that after a few minutes with the shower on in the downstairs bathroom a very noticeable wet stain appears around the door.

The paint in that room is very coarse and dry to the touch ... it looks and feels like low quality builder-grade paint.

When I first saw this wet area I was convinced it was from the leak above that room - but after investigating it appears the upstairs leak does not (or no longer does) leak enough to get the wall below it wet. However, old water stains show that it may have leaked a lot in the past, w/the previous owners.

Please see included pictures - I'm wondering if this is simply condensation from the shower, and an inadequate vent fan? A coworker said he bets there's mold behind that wall ... should I start cutting into it to investigate, or would a couple coats of quality paint and a more substantial fan be the answer?

Thanks for any advice.

Soaking wet corner of room after shower.  Mold concerns?-waterstains.jpg

Soaking wet corner of room after shower.  Mold concerns?-imag2294.jpg

Soaking wet corner of room after shower.  Mold concerns?-floorpln.jpg

Advertisement

MoreCowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:59 PM   #2

One other thing I was wondering - if drywall was exposed to moisture over time would it be more likely to display this type of staining when humidity was increased? I'm hoping this is just simple surface condensation, and not a sign of a more serious problem due to water damage from the previous homeowners.

Advertisement

Old 04-10-2014, 01:14 PM   #3
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,294

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
One other thing I was wondering - if drywall was exposed to moisture over time would it be more likely to display this type of staining when humidity was increased? I'm hoping this is just simple surface condensation, and not a sign of a more serious problem due to water damage from the previous homeowners.
Quote:
but after investigating it appears the upstairs leak does not (or no longer does) leak enough to get the wall below it wet.
Ayuh,.... I would expect a damp area to sweat before a dry area,....

More concernin' is that you don't say the leak up-stairs has be Fixed, but just addressed,...
Any leak, no matter how small, is a Serious Problem,....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bondo For This Useful Post:
joecaption (04-10-2014)
Old 04-10-2014, 01:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
Ayuh,.... I would expect a damp area to sweat before a dry area,....

More concernin' is that you don't say the leak up-stairs has be Fixed, but just addressed,...
Any leak, no matter how small, is a Serious Problem,....
When I saw this wet spot during a shower I thought there was no way it was from condensation alone, and since we also just recently started using the upstairs shower (due to a leak in our master shower ... this is a 3 full bath home) I figured there was a major leak causing this issue.

So I cut open an access panel to investigate and found:

A very minor leak caused by bad caulking.

Evidence of old water staining on the subfloor around the tub.

The subfloor was not wet, however. So this was an old water event, maybe just water staining from the build, I don't know.

I fixed the minor caulking leak as long as I found it, but it's something I probably wouldn't have noticed for years had I not cut into the wall to investigate because it wasn't really causing a problem. The water stains on the subfloor, of unknown age and origin, worry me a little bit.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:37 PM   #5

Here's a pic of the upstairs subfloor around the tub, taken through the access panel I created to view the plumbing. To me it looks like this had seen water in the past. It's dry now. This is above the wet-corner wall.

Name:  sfd.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  62.0 KB

The leak was just the weep hole in the 3-piece surround that wasn't weeping correctly due to not enough silicone. Not enough water to even make it to the subfloor let alone cause staining.

The wet spot goes away after 20 min of opening a door and letting the fan run.

Looking for opinions - do I start tearing into drywall or leave well enough alone, paint and get a better fan?
Old 04-10-2014, 01:40 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,688

One thing that jumps out is when you said "over time". If it has leaked over time inside the wall I would have to bet on the mold being there. As far as the downstairs shower from what you said my guess is another leak. Since you found bad caulk at one place the first place I would look is around the fixtures and see if water is getting behind them.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
One thing that jumps out is when you said "over time". If it has leaked over time inside the wall I would have to bet on the mold being there. As far as the downstairs shower from what you said my guess is another leak. Since you found bad caulk at one place the first place I would look is around the fixtures and see if water is getting behind them.
I was asking 'if over time' - I have no way of knowing how, when, how often or with what amount a leak, if any, happened upstairs.

I only know two things for sure:
  1. I see old water staining on a subfloor in the upstairs bathroom. Subfloor is currently bone dry.
  2. I see water stains on the wall in the downstairs bathroom after a shower, and only after a shower. It's been 2 years since we bought, never showered in that bathroom before and never noticed an issue before.

The rest is my layman head guessing at things and possibly (hopefully) making mountains out of nothing.

Last edited by MoreCowbell; 04-10-2014 at 01:50 PM.
Old 04-10-2014, 03:34 PM   #8
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

I would be inclined to test it with a moisture meter before you go tearing it apart. Especially since you don't know specifically whether you've had a leak there in the past. Coat it with a stain sealer and then repaint. If it's getting wet, it will let you know soon enough when it all bleeds through again. There are a few mold spots on the plywood sub floor in the picture though.

Check this link:
How to control Mold Part 1
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 03:57 PM   #9

Ah great, so the large access hole I created and subsequently pointed a fan into to make sure everything was fully dry may have blasted mold spores all over my kids?

I feel like a moisture meter would come in handy often - I'll pick one up on the way home today.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:31 PM   #10
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Not to worry. It's probably no worse than letting them jump in piles of leaves.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:18 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 508

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
Ah great, so the large access hole I created and subsequently pointed a fan into to make sure everything was fully dry may have blasted mold spores all over my kids?

I feel like a moisture meter would come in handy often - I'll pick one up on the way home today.
Although that is mold on the subfloor, its very little. Respiratory problems from black mold come after long term exposure, not a short exposure.
Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 04:13 PM   #12
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle2k View Post
Although that is mold on the subfloor, its very little. Respiratory problems from black mold come after long term exposure, not a short exposure.
And your source for that info??

Advertisement