Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-14-2010, 11:22 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 256

small baseboard against tapered edge

hi - hope this isn't a dumb question - i drywalled my living room area using horizontal sheets. top edge will butt against a t&g or some kind of bead-board ceiling so i'll likely have some kind of wood trim there. Bottom edge will have a regular baseboard finish.

since the bottom edge is tapered (I didn't mud it) what happends if the baseboard I'm planning on using is fairly short (e.g. 3 -1/4 ")? setting the back of the baseboard against a tapered surface - won't that make it go kinda wonky?

sort of the same question on the top edge - if I use a narrow trim piece that does not cover the width of the tapered drywall edge - will not look right?

do the pro's mud the top /bottom edges, or do you just plan on using larger stock to trim top and bottom finishes on horizontal drywall runs to cover the tapered edges?

rtoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 01:25 PM   #2
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

The tapered edge is about 2-5/8" and standard base is 3-1/4" , both should be off the floor approx. 1/2", so it shouldn't matter. If you go with a narrower base, you should fill the taper or you will be able to see the transition at the taper. When finishing for a grid ceiling I usually fill the taper at the top for just that reason so I can keep the wall mold as high as possible without the taper showing. Any crown mold over 2-3/4" will cover. Smaller, and it will need to be filled.

Old 05-14-2010, 01:53 PM   #3

thanks BJB - just thinking - even if I used a taller baseboard what would happen if I shoot nails into the tapered area - the board would cover, but would it pull the bottom into the taper - at the same time leaving a bit of a gab along the top edge of the baseboard?

I got a feeling I have a bit more work to do
Old 05-14-2010, 03:58 PM   #4
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

As long as the top of the base is above the taper, you won't have a problem. The top needs to be caulked anyway if you're painting. I have never had to fill the bottom taper that I can recall (I do trim also).
Old 05-17-2010, 09:07 AM   #5

thanks bjb - appreciate the advice...