Slotted Drywall Knife - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-09-2011, 04:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Slotted drywall knife

Is there such a thing? Let me explain what I want it for . . . doing the vertical seams where two horizontal drywall sections butt against each other. You apply tape, then a first coat of drywall compound that is thick enough to cover the tape, but not too thick so it will sand smooth.

The “not too thick” is what I’m looking for.

|________-----------------________|

If the edge of the knife had that shape, and the notch was the proper depth, you could make a nice even run along both sides of the tape and leave a nice thin coat of mud that would cover the tape properly.

So, is there such a thing?

Advertisement

papageek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:58 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,242

Slotted drywall knife

Never seen one---Many tapers will bend the blade just a bit --that lays the mud a little thicker in the center--and tapered to nothing at the edge.

Advertisement

tcleve4911 (12-11-2011)
Old 12-09-2011, 09:10 PM   #3
retired union carpenter

Rewards Points: 250
Send a message via Yahoo to coupe

Slotted drywall knife

deleted for wrong font usage

Last edited by coupe; 12-21-2011 at 04:33 PM. Reason: deleting
coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:11 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Slotted drywall knife

to the original poster: I have never seen a drywall knife like you suggest but with a grinder and a file I am sure you could make your own.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:35 AM   #5

Slotted drywall knife

Thanks for the feedback. It was what I expected. Since they don't make one, I'll do what Danny said and make my own.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:16 PM   #6

Slotted drywall knife

papageek - There is a knife just like that called the "Perfect Pass" that is sold at Menards. (Maybe other places too...) I am no drywalling pro, actually, I pretty much suck at it.. but I bought the perfect pass for doing my basement's butt joints, and it has worked wonders for me. Doesn't work like it says on the package (Get it done in two passes with no sanding!!) but it does help out a lot.

http://www.menards.com/main/tools-ha...876-c-8951.htm
casper129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 04:09 PM   #7

Slotted drywall knife

Thanks casper, that is exactly the tool I was looking for. I just finished this job the hard way, but will order one for the next time I tackle a drywall project
Old 12-16-2011, 10:45 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 756

Slotted drywall knife

That looks interesting. You could make that pretty easily I would imagine. Wonder if it's worth it since the first coat is the easiest.
mikegp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:00 AM   #9

Slotted drywall knife

First coat is indeed easiest, but getting that coating to be the same thickness from top to bottom is not! And you don't want the seam to be wavey. I'm going to buy one on-line because they don't sell them yet in the Maryland area.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:04 AM   #10

Slotted drywall knife

The more I think about it, I'd like to give that a shot on my basement. Anyone know where to order one? A quick internet search came up with nothing but a youtube video.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:05 AM   #11

Slotted drywall knife

Quote:
Originally Posted by papageek View Post
First coat is indeed easiest, but getting that coating to be the same thickness from top to bottom is not! And you don't want the seam to be wavey. I'm going to buy one on-line because they don't sell them yet in the Maryland area.
Let me know what you find. I just emailed epiphany. I'll post up if they respond.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:04 PM   #12
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,582

Slotted drywall knife

You guys are wasting your time and money on that tool. It isn't going to be the magic wand you imagine it is going to be. Using that tool will create more problems you wouldn't otherwise have to deal with. Just fill and feather the same way it has been done for the last seventy years.
coupe (12-16-2011)
Old 12-16-2011, 01:25 PM   #13

Slotted drywall knife

Mike,
I just finished my basement. Here are a couple things I did as a non-pro.

I installed the drywall horizontal, not vertical. Only two walls needed butt to butt seams and I staggered them.

I used green board for the bottom row just in case of any water issues.

A trick my daddy taught me, another non-pro, is to make the butt joins between studs. I install the first piece of drywall, and then cut a strip of ½ inch PT plywood about 52 inches by 4 inches. I use adhesive to place it halfway behind the first sheet. This gives me two full inches in which to place the screws, not ¾ of an inch at the very edge if my stud is perfectly straight, less is some places if it is not! I use the extra 4 inches of the 52 length to place a screw or two in the adjoining piece of drywall and use adhesive again to install the second sheet that is butting up to it. This makes a nice butt joint because you don’t crack the ends by screwing in too close to the edge. Then comes the vertical butt joint that we are all talking about on this thread.

I’m sure the pro’s who have done this for years will say this is overkill, but for me this works perfect every time.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:53 PM   #14

Slotted drywall knife

Bud Cline - Maybe for someone that has been doing it for years this tool would seem like a waste of time.. but for a DIY'er that doesn't do it for a living, this tool is perfect. It cut my butt jointing time almost in half compared to the two joints that I did without the tool. Some of you 'pros' need to have an open mind once in a while, and realize that there are going to be tools invented that are going to make things easier for the every day person. It's called change, and just like at my job, you have to live with it, weather you agree with it or not.
casper129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:07 PM   #15
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,582

Slotted drywall knife

Quote:
Bud Cline - Maybe for someone that has been doing it for years this tool would seem like a waste of time.. but for a DIY'er that doesn't do it for a living, this tool is perfect. It cut my butt jointing time almost in half compared to the two joints that I did without the tool. Some of you 'pros' need to have an open mind once in a while, and realize that there are going to be tools invented that are going to make things easier for the every day person. It's called change, and just like at my job, you have to live with it, weather you agree with it or not.
Thank you I didn't know that! Your information is very helpful to me. I appreciate your being here on a regular basis and being willing to offer your advice free of charge whether you really know anything or not. Your opinion is most welcome.

Advertisement