Skylights: New Drywall Meets Popcorn Ceiling. How To Make Look Good? - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-11-2011, 03:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Skylights: New drywall meets popcorn ceiling. How to make look good?

I put new skylights in the livingroom and need to transition the new drywall in the wells to a popcorn ceiling.
I'm looking for some advice to make this look as clean as possible.

Obviously the popcorn is what it is and I have no intentions of scraping it anytime soon (that's another post). The other thing is, I framed in the wells so they're flared to allow more light, that means I can't just take some outside corner trim and go around the perimeter because the ceiling-to-well corner is not 90* it's more like 15* on the top and 45* on the bottom. Of course the sides are 90 because of the rafters...

Advertisement

211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 03:36 PM   #2
Experienced

Rewards Points: 2,000

Make a pattern of the angles, go to a local sheet metal shop and see if the can bend you some stainless or just metal that you can fasten and paint.

Advertisement

Old 01-11-2011, 04:07 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

The most simple way would be to run your casing so that it actually over hangs into the window well by 1/4" to a 1/2" and finish wall down to it. Nobody should be able to see above the casing.

If you don't like the look of that you can do more by.

Putting L metal with splay metal as a possibility. Putting it on the bottom of the sheetrock, finishing it of course, and then going over the bottom of the skylight ceiling with casing.
redmanblackdog is offline   Reply With Quote