Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-14-2010, 08:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

To skimcoat or not to skimcoat

I just had the joy of removing popcorn from my excessively high cathedral ceiling that covers the livingroom/kitchen/ dining room/ eating area in kithen. It looks good and clean down to the drywall, but someone said I need to put up a skim coat. Now taking into consideration that the schaffolding is gone - yes, I rented schaffolding - do I have to skim coat or can iI just prime and paint?

candypw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:09 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

I would think that depends on the condition of the ceiling. Smooth and clean? No gouges?

boman47k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:57 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

Honestly, unless you can do a pro job skim coating, don't even bother doing it. Depends on your skill, tools, and dedication, skim coats can come out looking like isht when painted. This is even more evidend if you have any uplighting. I would prime it, get a nice flourecent light, get up there and check for imperfections and then decide what you need to do.
slickgt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 02:57 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

pretty much with the others here. you might modify your skim idea to void filling. if there are any scratches, gouges etc you can skim those to fill in the damaged area. skim coating the entire surface is something that's going to require a lot of practice. if you do decide to do it. go to depot and buy a couple sheets of whatever is cheap. practice your skim coats, paint, texture and inspect. if you can get it right on a free 4x8 you have a shot at doing it right on your ceiling. by using a practice sheet you can toss it when it gets screwed up.
racebum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 09:40 AM   #5
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,028

The joints and nail spots themselves might need a skim coat even if the rest of the drywall is smooth. As a rule, textured areas get a tape coat and a bed coat only. Smooth finish requires a third or skim coat...