Skim Over Lifted Tape Edges? - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-27-2013, 01:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 172

Skim over lifted tape edges?

Looks like the edge of the tape is lifting. Could I just skim over it with mud?

You can see it about 8 inches from the wall in the pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Skim over lifted tape edges?-imag1058-1-.jpg  

Advertisement

nateshirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 04:08 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 156

Did it just happen or was it always look like this?...To me, it looks like the top coats of mud are too thin, and not gone far enough out. I'd just mud it and fan it out further.

Advertisement

jburchill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:49 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 626

right now I am looking at other things like what looks like mold and that some one put the wall up first then the ceiling. should never be a gap like that.
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 11:57 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 172

I just bought the house. I assume It happened over time. I also figured it was a thin top coat. I just wasn't sure if I could skim over it or if it needed mud under it to prevent it from happening again.

Nailbags, as I stated above, it's a new house to me and that's why the walls are ripped out now. They nailed furring strips, 2 deep, right to the block wall. Then smashed fiberglass insulation between the wall and drywall. Some of the wood wasn't even wood anymore. It was like dirt.
nateshirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:02 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,648

Lifted tape is really hard to just mud over because it ill almost always show. Its better to remove the loose tape and re-tape the corner.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:52 AM   #6
automated tool pro

Rewards Points: 150

The tape has turned loose from the ceiling.
No, you can not skim over it to fix it.

It's a butt-joint, so follow the edge until it meets the factory joint. Take a razor knife and slice completely through the width of the tape. Now take a smaller drywall finishing knife and and slide it beneath that end of the tape. pop it the rest of the way off of the joint. (Even if this is not a butt-joint it's the same fix)..now pull the cut tape loose, working your way slowly until you meet the factory joint at the other end. Cut it with your razor knife, and toss that entire piece away.
as for being a non-finisher, this is about the easiest repair you can fix because what you have now is space where the width is identical to the next piece of tape. People here might disagree, but screw them, I've done this hundreds of times.
USE MESH tape next. It should fit perfectly into the space you just pulled your paper tape from. make sure it is laying flat with no wrinkles.
mix a small amount of quick-set mud, cover the tape and pull the mud back off. What's left is a gap filled with mud and tape. Let dry and/or set-up and repeat this process. keep repeating until the surface returns to flat and smooth.......do not think you need apply alot of mud. you dont. the fix is just filling the gap like a you would do to drywall screws.
your tape just turned loose

Advertisement