Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-21-2010, 01:44 PM   #1

Share |

skim coating over old wallpaper glue remains

Don't know if this is the right forum but, I have removed the 1950's era wallpaper from above a chair rail and either the glue or part of the paper has adhesed to the unfinished drywall and have tried everything to remove it (literally everything). The only thing left, I think, is skim coating over it so I can paint. I really, really hate wallpaper in a kitchen. The area is 120 square feet. Can I do it myself? If not, what should the cost be to hire someone?? Thanks ever-so-much. This is the final task in a kitchen renovation in which I agreed to do the painting in order to save money. Not a great idea.

maggiemay1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 07:57 PM   #2
DIY staff

Sound like skimcoating is your best option.

Can you do it your self? Only you know that.--

Use the mud with the blue lid--use a 12 inch blade --thin coats--usually three.--Mike--

oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 09:14 PM   #3
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

See post #3 of this thread......

Removing wallpaper
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:36 AM   #4
Drywall contractor

Prime first, preferably with oil base to seal the glue. Otherwise when the mud hits it it can loosen up again and make more of a mess. Hate to disagree, but I'd use regular ready mix (green lid). I'm not a big fan of the lightweight compounds. They scratch too easily.
How much to have it done would be like asking "how long is a rope"? Prices vary from region to region, by degree of difficulty, and even just by what a finisher thinks his own time is worth.....
Old 08-23-2010, 06:28 AM   #5

Absolutely agree with oil-based primer. Had another wall with similar glue problems in the living room and thought all of it had come off until I painted it with acrylic paint - the paint bubbled and peeled off after a few days. Lesson learned. Got a quote from a drywall contractor of $250. Thought that was fair considering how much time I've already spent on this project. Thanks for reply.
maggiemay1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to maggiemay1013 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (08-23-2010)