Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-09-2011, 04:37 PM   #1

Share |

Skim Coating

I have researched this quite a bit and thought I knew what I was doing. Well for the most part I did. I mixed my mud up to a thick pancake like batter. Well first wall I didn't and didn't look to good. Will sand it down and redo.

Anyways, when I put the mud on and then skim it off, how much should I actually leave on? When I pull off the mud, I can see the drywall paper. But there is an ever so slight amount of mud on there. So, leading up to my question.

How much mud should stay on the wall? Should it be enough so I can't see through the mud?

This is the first time I have ever skimmed a wall. If you couldn't tell by the rookie question.

Thanks

jburchill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:35 PM   #2

Skim Coating

You want most of the mud to stay on the wall. With a first coat, you will likely see some of the wall color flash through. Once it dries, use your 6 inch taping knife as a scraper and gently scrape off any ridges. You may have to sand a bit to make it fairly smooth. Apply a 2nd coat & go through the same process this time sanding a bit more to get a smooth surface. Don't sand to aggressively or you will remove too much. Use a brush to knock the dust off the wall, prime with a good drywall primer, and, apply 2 coats of paint.

Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:47 PM   #3

Skim Coating

Thanks for the reply, as it dried it looks to turn white now as mud does when its dry. I'll do a second coat tomorrow and I think it will look good.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:20 PM   #4

Skim Coating

Do not skip the drywall primer! If you have never done drywall, it is a special primer for Sheetrock, not a conventional primer. It is pretty watery, but fills in gaps and all sorts of imperfections. I just did some Sheetrock work this week, first time in ten years. After mudding and sanding it looked pretty rough. After the primer it looked great!

Good luck. You may want to wear a mask during the sanding, the dust is extremely fine and will get everywhere.
dougp23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:42 PM   #5

Skim Coating

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougp23 View Post
Do not skip the drywall primer! If you have never done drywall, it is a special primer for Sheetrock, not a conventional primer. It is pretty watery, but fills in gaps and all sorts of imperfections. I just did some Sheetrock work this week, first time in ten years. After mudding and sanding it looked pretty rough. After the primer it looked great!

Good luck. You may want to wear a mask during the sanding, the dust is extremely fine and will get everywhere.

What brand/product did you use for the drywall primer? I was thinking of using zin123 primer/sealer.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:44 AM   #6

Skim Coating

I don't mean to hijack the thread, and this information may be useful to the OP. I was reading some information about "Sheetrock Tuff Hide." I have no personal experience with it, but might look into it further with my ongoing home renovation. Any thoughts or comments?

http://www.usg.de/index.php?id=1050
Old 11-10-2011, 07:24 AM   #7

Skim Coating

Quote:
Originally Posted by jburchill View Post
What brand/product did you use for the drywall primer? I was thinking of using zin123 primer/sealer.
I go the cheap route, lol! I go to Lowe's or Home Depot and just get the store brand sheetrock primer. From Lowe's site, here's "Sheetrock Brand" drywall primer's bullet points:

• Primer dries to a white finish in under 30 minutes
  • Primer has been formulated to equalize both porosity and surface texture differences and provide greater uniformity of the finish coat
  • Primer minimizes joint banding and photographing
Full disclosure: Just a DIY hack here. Other pros may weigh in with differing opinions, but I do find a decent sheetrock primer really lives up to bullet points 2 and 3. Smooths everything out and makes it ready for that first coat of Interior paint. These drywall primers can be tinted as well, so you may be able to get away with a single coat of interior after the primer.

Good luck!
dougp23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:02 AM   #8

Skim Coating

Zinsser 1-2-3 is really not formulated as a drywall primer.........personally I use Sherwin-Williams drywall primer which is a bit pricey. You will find Valspar's drywall primer at Lowe's which isn't too bad and very reasonably priced and Sheetrock makes a very good primer as well.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:40 AM   #9

Skim Coating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
Zinsser 1-2-3 is really not formulated as a drywall primer.........personally I use Sherwin-Williams drywall primer which is a bit pricey. You will find Valspar's drywall primer at Lowe's which isn't too bad and very reasonably priced and Sheetrock makes a very good primer as well.

I originally was going to go with the Sheetrock brand of drywall primer. But reading on forums got me more confused as they were saying that it isn't a sealer just a primer. So I thought about using the zin123.
Old 11-10-2011, 03:32 PM   #10

Skim Coating

Quote:
Originally Posted by jburchill View Post
I originally was going to go with the Sheetrock brand of drywall primer. But reading on forums got me more confused as they were saying that it isn't a sealer just a primer. So I thought about using the zin123.
Drywall primer soaks into the joint compound better than 1-2-3. Zinsser's 1-2-3 is a primer/sealer and would be acceptable.......it dries rather quickly and won't soak into the drywall as much as a regular drywall primer.
Old 11-10-2011, 03:56 PM   #11

Skim Coating

Is there a need for a sealer if you use the drywall primer? I am not sure if I'm just over hyping the need for a sealer based on previous research.

By the wall my first wall will probably need to be sanded down some and then redone with another skim coat. The other walls I did after I mixed the mud thinner look pretty good, just a few areas where it got a little light I'll need to go over again. But all in all it looks pretty good for my first time.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:03 PM   #12
Handyman

Skim Coating

Skim coating is no different than regular mudding. Thin coats but more of them...there is no way to hurry a finish. Oil based or acrylic primer is the way I usually go but it depends on the surface you are working on.
canadaclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:16 AM   #13

Skim Coating

No you don't need a sealer for drywall mud. A good drywall primer is all that is needed. You really want something that penetrates and soaks into the mud.