Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-07-2010, 10:16 PM   #1

Share |

Shower walls

I'm re doing my master bath down to the studs. In the shower I'm using Hardi backer cement board then ceramic tile. Question is do I need a visqueen vapor barrier behind the backer board. I'm also insulating the stud spaces in the whole bath for sound control.

Thank you

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
If it's true that you learn from your mistakes- I'm getting one heck of an education
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
thumbkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 05:10 PM   #2
Handyman

Shower walls

Vapour barriers are to prevent moisture from temperature differences. If its an exterior wall, then yes. I always install a 6 mil sheet behind the Duroc anyway because people think that grout and caulking lasts forever.

For the cost, its worth it...cut it to a 1/8" below the top lip of the pan.
canadaclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 12:19 PM   #3

Shower walls

Old school was the visqueen behind the backer board.

That method has been superseded by surface applied water proofing like Kerdi, Nobel or Red Guard. I prefer Kerdi. You can go to Schluter.com to see the system.
kgphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 02:10 PM   #4
Handyman

Shower walls

yeah kg but have you seen the price of that stuff?! lol

I also put 6mil behind the Duroc for the same reason..just takes a little more time
Old 05-19-2010, 02:38 PM   #5

Shower walls

The cost can be high, but always less than the damage from the water. There are ways to build hybrid systems that work well, but cost less.

It is important to mention that both tile and grout are NOT water proof, grout even less so.

Now that more people are taking longer and hotter (vapor pressure) showers, more often, the old systems can't keep up and you get mold and mildew. With the Kerdi, you can use standard drywall which is easy to carry and cut, compared to cement board, so you save some labor. You can also use Denshield with Kerdi Band and get a real nice hybrid system.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:46 PM   #6
Handyman

Shower walls

good point kg. It all depends on what people want to spend I suppose. Personally, I like the whole Kerdi system..especially the drainage system but until the cost comes down its still old school for me.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:14 PM   #7

Shower walls

It is all use nowadays. Really good stuff. Fast to install and works like a charm.