Shower Surround Drywall Questions - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-05-2012, 11:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 85

Shower surround drywall questions

Putting in a shower surround in my basement.

What flavor drywall should I put on the 14 inches between the top of the shower wall and the ceiling.

Additionally,what should I put on the shower ceiling?

Prefer any products I install to be paintable.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Advertisement

spring3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:57 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 632

Any bathroom needs at least green board, paperless would be even better.
All can be primed and painted.
Make sure you allow for a vent in that ceiling!

Advertisement

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
spring3100 (11-06-2012)
Old 12-05-2012, 06:08 PM   #3
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,044

With the proper paint, regular drywall will be fine. Do not set the drywall directly on the surround. Leave a 1/4" gap so any moisture on the top of the surround will not "wick" up into the drywall. That's the biggest issue. Green board and even paperless will eventually break down if they absorb enough moisture. Use mesh tape and setting compound to fill the gap...

Last edited by bjbatlanta; 12-05-2012 at 06:13 PM.
bjbatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bjbatlanta For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (12-05-2012)
Old 12-05-2012, 06:43 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 632

Totaly not true and would not meet any code I've heard of.
In fact we now have to use paperless sheetrock, not even green board is excepted anymore.
Why take a chance, for a few bucks more and not have to deal with mold later on.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:36 PM   #5
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,044

I totally agree that "greenboard" is no better than regular board. I don't know of any "code" that requires any particular type of board in "wet areas" (at least around here). There could be a "code" in VA. Or if you know of some "nationally accepted code" I'm not aware of, but is not enforced... Proper installation and finishing of regular board has worked for decades. I'm not against the "paperless" board, but why buy a sheet JUST for the space over the shower when you don't need to?? I've never had an inspector come on a job, residential or commercial, in almost 40 years to see what type of drywall was in place, other than if it was for fire code. In that case it was the fire marshal, not the building inspector. He's the one you have to look out for. You Don't get a CO on a commercial job until he signs off....
Old 12-06-2012, 07:33 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,670

Hey guys not to be picky but green board is going the way of the DooDoo bird. The board is now purple or paperless (don't ask me why they made it purple) and code where I am says mold and moisture resistant in baths. And as for buying 1 sheet and only using above the shower he could also use it on the ceiling. And you are right about never getting inspected as a H/O but for the simple piece of mind and the low difference in price why would you ever take the chance. And yes they have used plain drywall for years and most of them I have taken down around showers have some degree of mold. In older homes or where there is just a tub hardly ever.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:52 AM   #7
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

XP board is sufficient and acceptable for the areas above a shower in most regions (as those surface areas are not considered "wet" locations) + also use mold-resistant paint.

It is rated as "mold resistant" according to the Manufacturer and ASTM ratings. Also note the last website point cited below.

LINK: http://nationalgypsum.com/products/P...ProductID=2413

Quote:
Resists the growth of mold per ASTM G 21 with a score of 0, the best possible score.
Resists the growth of mold per ASTM D 3273 with a score of 10, the best possible score.
XP Gypsum Board is moisture resistant and can be used as a tile backer board in dry areas or areas with limited water exposure such as toilet/sink areas and wall and ceiling areas above tile in tubs and showers.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:26 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 232

I allways use some type of water board in the entire bathroom with the exception of the lid.I know code is so many feet from water but if nothing else use it everywhere for the mostere .

Advertisement

scottktmrider is offline   Reply With Quote