Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-02-2012, 08:53 AM   #1

Share |

Shower installation

Hello,

I am having a shower installed and noticed that there are gaps where the drywall meets the shower base. When I asked the contractor about this he said it was the correct way to do it and that the tile/grout would be sufficient protection from the water. Is he right? He put some kind of vapor barrier over the drywall but it didn't extend over the gaps.

Thanks a lot.
Attached Thumbnails
Shower installation-sh1.jpg   Shower installation-sh2.jpg  

scar72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:59 AM   #2

Shower installation

Yes, that is fine and he is correct. The thinset is waterproof, in that it can be used in showers. The tile which is also waterproof, which will cover the gap as well as the grout. Lastly, once the tile is set in and grouted, make sure he or you go over it with a bead of caulk all the way around. Now you have 2 layers of waterproofing .

If you knew you were tiling, concrete board should/could have been used instead of the drywall, but it is a little more expensive and heavier

Last edited by Trucon01; 05-03-2012 at 11:28 AM.
Trucon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Trucon01 For This Useful Post:
scar72 (05-03-2012)
Old 05-03-2012, 11:14 AM   #3

Shower installation

In my opinion to install tile in a shower onto ONLY drywall is wrong. Grout does leach water to its backside eventually. Other choices are to use a cement board for a backer or a waterproof membrane like Schluter-Ditra.

A 3' x 5' piece of 1/2 cement board is a little more expensive than a sheet of drywall but worth the extra money for the added protection.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4HFG...hannel&list=UL

Last edited by hammerlane; 05-03-2012 at 11:27 AM.
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hammerlane For This Useful Post:
scar72 (05-03-2012)
Old 05-03-2012, 11:23 AM   #4

Shower installation

Are you sure that's drywall? I've never seen drywall that dark a color.
Drywall in a shower area should never have been used.
It looks like they ran whatever that stuff is down behind the shower pan, which os a no no.
The wall should have been shimed and the material should have been installed
So it just runs past the pans lip on top. The tile would cover the rest of the gap to about 1/4 from the rim then silicone caulking would have sealed it.
Thin set is not waterproof like the other poster suggested.
If possible have them hold off, we have some really good tiles guys on here that will look over what you have. That's all they do is tile work and will give you some great info.

Last edited by joecaption; 05-03-2012 at 11:26 AM.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
scar72 (05-03-2012)
Old 05-03-2012, 11:27 AM   #5

Shower installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by scar72 View Post
he said it was the correct way to do it and that the tile/grout would be sufficient protection from the water. Is he right?
No...he is incorrect.
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hammerlane For This Useful Post:
scar72 (05-03-2012)
Old 05-03-2012, 12:34 PM   #6
Tileguy

Shower installation

That shower may be be a nightmare within a few years. STOP!

Tell us what that substrate is exactly. At first I thought it might be DenShield, but it's too dark. I've seen dark green and purple colored moisture resistant board. The walls should have been shimmed so the boards clear the flange for best results. The corner treatment looks orange in color, is it kerdi Band?

You said;
Quote:
He put some kind of vapor barrier over the drywall but it didn't extend over the gaps.
What would that be and how about some updated pics?

Some people should re-think the meaning of waterproof as it relates to holding back water in a shower. Thin set, grout, tiles, although may not be adversely affected by water when used properly, will not make a shower waterproof. The shower should be waterproofed BEFORE the tiles are installed.

Is the installer a handyman or carpenter type?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! PRODUCT * METHOD * INSTALLATION FAILURE consultation
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
scar72 (05-03-2012)
Old 05-03-2012, 12:54 PM   #7

Shower installation

Thanks for the replies. I haven't been around when the contractor has been doing the work, but I think he applied some kind of red substance to the drywall (or whatever it is) with a roller. The tiles are now installed so I can't see what else he did.

The guy has an established kitchen and bathroom business so I had assumed he knew what he was doing, but this particular part of the work didn't look right to me.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:35 PM   #8
Tileguy

Shower installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by scar72 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I haven't been around when the contractor has been doing the work, but I think he applied some kind of red substance to the drywall (or whatever it is) with a roller. The tiles are now installed so I can't see what else he did.

The guy has an established kitchen and bathroom business so I had assumed he knew what he was doing, but this particular part of the work didn't look right to me.
We can help if you use your eyes to show us what was done and with which specific products. If those sheets are moisture resistant wall board, it's the wrong product for wet areas unless covered with certain products. If the red stuff was Redgard, then it is the wrong stuff to apply over wall board.

The whole thing was done wrong. Especially the lower half. Got more pics of the process?

Quote:
The guy has an established kitchen and bathroom business so I had assumed he knew what he was doing
Well, if he had even seen one done the right way he would know this was not right. I'd like to see how he handled the drywall (?) to flange interface.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! PRODUCT * METHOD * INSTALLATION FAILURE consultation
scar72 (05-03-2012)
Old 05-03-2012, 06:20 PM   #9

Shower installation

Might be Denshield which has a waterproof coating and is blue in color. Redguard covers the screw holes and seams which should have thinset and not drywall compound applied prior to the Redguard. Agreed, the "board" should have been shimmed so the tiles overlap the base. I'd like to see the finished tile job, particularly the base.
retired guy 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to retired guy 60 For This Useful Post:
scar72 (05-03-2012)
Old 05-03-2012, 07:01 PM   #10

Shower installation

my method is to use 2 layers of 1/4 inch tile backer board , its twice as expensive cause it cost the same as 1/2 inch , but what you can do is put up 1 layer down to the flange of the shower pan then seal up the joints with mortar , then i install the second layer of 1/4 inch past the flange then seal the joints again , but when you install the 2nd layer stager your joints so that there is no seam from front to back , also the corners are stepped so if a crack develops in the corner its not a straight through to the wood , by the time the tile is on there are 4 angles for water to get past.

heres a little diagram of what i mean , i left gaps so you could see the different layers , i figure pay double so you get the best defense from water penetrating to the back from cracked grout etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Shower installation-tile-backer-board.jpg  
oldrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oldrivers For This Useful Post:
scar72 (05-03-2012)
Old 05-03-2012, 08:27 PM   #11

Shower installation

Thanks again for the advice. I've attached a more few pictures, including a close-up of where the shower lever will go in case anyone can see what kind of material was used. I'll ask the contractor to describe in detail what he did.
Attached Thumbnails
Shower installation-img_1633.jpg   Shower installation-img_1638.jpg   Shower installation-img_1637.jpg  

Last edited by scar72; 05-03-2012 at 08:39 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:31 PM   #12
Tileguy

Shower installation

Sorry Oldrivers but what you've shown us is a big waste of time and money, it's not as sturdy and doing all the staggers etc. does not make it waterproof. Did you dream up of that all by yourself? Back to the drawing board. Why try to re-invent the wheel?

!/4" as you know, (?) is not for walls, it's too flimsy for 16" o.c. fastening. You'd also have to laminate the sheets to get a stiff wall.

Please refer us to any manufacturer's instructions or the TCNA method that represents this method.

Jaz

scar72 (05-03-2012)
Old 05-03-2012, 08:49 PM   #13
Tileguy

Shower installation

Scar,

Sorry, but the pics don't show much, mostly the tiles. That doesn't tell us anything. We can see what looks like a gypsum product from the hole for the valve, but it could be WR board or Denshield. Why don't you just tell us what you and the contractor agreed to use, read the contract or the receipts. Or maybe look at the left over scrap or?

Jaz

scar72 (05-03-2012)
Old 05-03-2012, 09:11 PM   #14

Shower installation

Good suggestion about the scrap, Jaz. I went through the rubble and found some pieces of the blue stuff, although I don't know if that's what is behind the tiles (I will confirm later): it's Humitek Sheetrock gypsum panels (1/2po X 4pi X 8pi). Does this help?

http://www.cgcinc.com/en/products/pa...aspx?pType=DIY

http://www.cgcinc.com/en/products/pa...aspx?pType=PRO

Last edited by scar72; 05-03-2012 at 09:21 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:17 PM   #15

Shower installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
Sorry Oldrivers but what you've shown us is a big waste of time and money, it's not as sturdy and doing all the staggers etc. does not make it waterproof. Did you dream up of that all by yourself? Back to the drawing board. Why try to re-invent the wheel?

!/4" as you know, (?) is not for walls, it's too flimsy for 16" o.c. fastening. You'd also have to laminate the sheets to get a stiff wall.

Please refer us to any manufacturer's instructions or the TCNA method that represents this method.

Jaz

well after being in the construction trade for almost 30 years now and seeing almost every method fail i started using my own methods. i dont go by national standards . why would 2 layers of 1/4 inch tile backer board be flimsier than any 1/2 inch drywall product? i use dura rock or that other solid material much stronger than any drywall based product . and maybe its not water proof but there is always a solid back behind any seem. im not a tiler but to me it makes more sense than most procedures out there. but ill put my money on tile backer board being less flimsy than a 1/2 inch drywall product even 2 layers of 1/4 inch . green board, blue board not for me. i was just pointing out my DIY method. if 1 layer of board cracks it doesnt crack through the second layer. seems like common sense to me . all these new products have not been around long enough to know if they pass the test of time anyways.

oldrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oldrivers For This Useful Post:
scar72 (05-03-2012)