Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-04-2010, 04:40 PM   #1

Share |

Should I put another drywall layer on?

Bought a house. The drywall taping looks terrible. Not to mention the surface is looking pretty shabby.

The ceiling board ends in the middle between beams, so the tape job there is looking crappy because the sheets don't meet on a beam.

Question: can (or should) I just put new over the old and have 2 layers? Orrrr...should I cut back to the beams and scab new pieces where needed?

luvdairish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 07:09 PM   #2

That depends..

Is the old drywall secured tightly? Is it flush, no bumps or anything sticking up over the surface? If so, I don't see any problem with simply hanging new drywall over the old

I'd cut out any old taping that might impede a clean, tight fit but hanging new over the old would probably be the quickest route to take for an overall clean look, but if it's not that much area, cutting out & fitting a few new pieces in might be the way to go

Just figure out how much work one way vs the other will be & that should tell you

Last edited by Mozart; 12-04-2010 at 07:12 PM.
Mozart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 05:10 PM   #3

just rip out the old...whether you rip it out or go over top of it, either way you still have to tape and finish the new.

scabbing in new pieces means a lot of butt joints. How good are you with taping butt joints?
williamwiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamwiens View Post
just rip out the old...whether you rip it out or go over top of it, either way you still have to tape and finish the new.

scabbing in new pieces means a lot of butt joints. How good are you with taping butt joints?
Good point. I would probably have more butts than if I re-rocked. Now I just have to convince the "better 1/2" to let me do it
luvdairish is offline   Reply With Quote