Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-06-2010, 10:35 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Should I apply mud/tape to the seam along the floor?

Hi,

I have just completed drywalling my basement (saved $700!), and I have a question about applying the mud/tape. i have not decided if I will tackle this task myself as I often hear to 'hire it out', but this is the only thing I have not done myself and would like to research.

When I installed, I used 12' sheets and placed horizontally on the the wall. I have a knee wall, which made for an 11" piece above the wall, and the remainder below. I also ensured that there was 1/2" between the floor and the rock.

My question: do I need to apply any mud to the edge that runs along the floor? The reason I ask is that the tapered edge runs along the floor, and I don't know if that beveled edge will affect the installation of the baseboard. Will the baseboard slope slightly if I don't mud?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

csihde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:52 PM   #2

You’re good. No mud needed and it won’t affect the baseboard as sometimes you will have to shim the baseboard anyway..

epson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to epson For This Useful Post:
csihde (09-06-2010)
Old 09-06-2010, 11:12 PM   #3

Thanks for the response! That was my suspicion because none of the 300 tutorials I have watched ever mentioned it.
csihde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:27 AM   #4

You seem to have it right - re the joint compound not being needed at the floor since it is a basement. You might want to use a good caulk however where sill meets floor to discourage any insects from entering. Also - in the future, if you do any rooms that are more formal, check out having them white-coated. The prices are usually pretty reasonable and the difference is night and day between that and feathered-out sheetrock.
jackofmany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by csihde View Post
Thanks for the response! That was my suspicion because none of the 300 tutorials I have watched ever mentioned it.
No problem, have a great day…
epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:34 PM   #6
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

To be absolutely truthful with you, I have to say that a quality, custom home job would have that taper filled in with either solid compound or a strip of wood approximately an inch wide by about 3/16" running parallel to the floor, about a quarter of an inch off the floor. But it is really only at the inside corners that most people would ever see the slight tilt of the baseboard.... and you can easily shim that.

I wouldn't worry about it.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:44 PM   #7

I would think with the angle/bevel of the drywall...that if the baseboard is nailed in at the bottom then the baseboard will be on an angle
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 12:26 AM   #8

ive never been asked to fill that unless the ceiling is a little higher than normal leaving a bigger than normal gap.

oldrivers is offline   Reply With Quote