Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2013, 02:59 AM   #16
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North Carolina, USA
Posts: 2,696
Share |
Default

Shopping list for first drywall project?


There isn't any need for more than 1 bucket of compound. Setting compound (the powder you mix) has other uses but if you live in the house and are not in a big rush, you don't really need it. Special types have special uses, but the all purpose is exactly that - works OK for any of the coats.

jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jeffnc For This Useful Post:
Nailbags (06-03-2013), user1007 (06-03-2013), Willie T (06-03-2013)
Old 06-03-2013, 07:25 AM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: outside ocala fl
Posts: 3,345
Default

Shopping list for first drywall project?


Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
So why mix your own when you can buy the pre-mixed ready to go?
Even with the pre mixed when you open it you should add some water (a little less than a qt.) and stir it. This makes it loose and almost creamy and a LOT easier to work. Then when you close the bucket say for the night the next day you should stir again before you use it. Straight from the bucket it is stiff and hard to work and did you ever notice when you open a bucket a lot of times there is what looks like water on the top. This needs mixed back in also. And yes you can use all purpose for everything as long as you thin it and mix it. But even if you don't thin the mud it should be mixed daily.
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:55 AM   #18
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North Carolina, USA
Posts: 2,696
Default

Shopping list for first drywall project?


I agree it's usually good to mix the joint compound when you get it from the store, as it's been sitting for weeks or months. However I think mixing it daily is really overkill.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:10 AM   #19
Too Short? Cut it Again!
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,635
Default

Shopping list for first drywall project?


Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
And a shop vac.....
Nothing chews up motors like drywall dust so get a shop vac that takes disposable bags.

Other than that, the lists people have suggested make sense as do how to work the material.

I would add that most first timers tend to underapply and then try to overwork the mud. I am certainly not suggesting you leave extra on the wall because you will have to sand or wet sponge it off. But for your first pass. Goop wads and wads of the stuff in your seams. Press your tape into it. Then use a wide knife to press all together to the wall surface and skim off the excess that oozes out the edges. That's it for the first pass. Use paper tape too. If you overwork it or try to skim mud over it on the first pass you risk tearing up or bubbling your tape.

If you did not do the drywall job? Grab a screw gun and make sure all the screws got set below surface level before you start mudding or you will have to stop and grab the screw gun anyhow.

Quickly re-read the post here and noticed nobody mentioned those interior and exterior finishing tools. They are more or less worthless IMO. Although, I onced a very long and flexible inside corner thing that was rather nice. I found it slowed me down though.

Those inside corner strips are really quite nice. For example.

http://trim-texestore.com/index.php?...t_detail&p=247


Last edited by user1007; 06-03-2013 at 10:31 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:14 AM   #20
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pacific North west
Posts: 1,221
Default

Shopping list for first drywall project?


for a bucket about a pint maybe a pint and half of clean water to mix it. I like using the mud that comes in a box just open it up dump it in a clean bucket add a pint of water mix use. but the green lid is good and I use it for every thing. when i do my mud and tape and do my out side corner beads I put in a additive called mud max and I only use that for taping and corner beads. after that it is just The green lid or in my area I use beadex red lid or red box. which is the same thing made by USG.
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:16 AM   #21
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pacific North west
Posts: 1,221
Default

Shopping list for first drywall project?


Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Nothing chews up motors like drywall dust so get a shop vac that takes disposable bags.

Other than that, the lists people have suggested make sense as do how to work the material.

I would add that most first timers tend to underapply and then try to overwork the mud. I am certainly not suggesting you leave extra on the wall because you will have to sand or wet sponge it off. But for your first pass. Goop wads and wads of the stuff in your seams. Press your tape into it. Then use a wide knife to press all together to the wall surface and skim off the excess that oozes out the edges. That's it for the first pass. Use paper tape too. If you overwork it or try to skim mud over it on the first pass you risk tearing up or bubbling your tape.

If you did not do the drywall job? Grab a screw gun and make sure all the screws got set below surface level before you start mudding or you will have to stop and grab the screw gun anyhow.
Um fiber cement siding dust eats up motors even faster.
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:23 AM   #22
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North Carolina, USA
Posts: 2,696
Default

Shopping list for first drywall project?


There are ways to manage the dust. One is simply setting up a fan system that moves the dust out a window. Open a window and put a box fan in there, blowing out. Put another fan near the door of the room blowing in. Of course there must be another window or door open in the house for this to work.

Another option is the water based vacuums, such as these
http://www.sandkleen.com/products.htm

They also sell kits at Home Depot, or you can Google for DIY versions of these.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffnc For This Useful Post:
user1007 (06-03-2013)
Old 06-03-2013, 10:52 AM   #23
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pacific North west
Posts: 1,221
Default

Shopping list for first drywall project?


Yes the trimtex inside corner bead nice but you have to use divergant staples and spray adheasive for it to adhere. I would rather use beadex b2 inside metal paper face corner bead run it in to a mud hopper aply it to the wall run your knife down each side and in 20 min you can't pull it off and in 24 hours you can't kick it off and it is warranted for a life time of no cracks. I switched to metal paper faced beads zero call backs. easy to use.
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:53 AM   #24
Too Short? Cut it Again!
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,635
Default

Shopping list for first drywall project?


And before we forget, remember to toss a furnace filter or two over any nearby cold air returns and turn off the HVAC if you can tolerate the temp and humidity until the dust settles or you could end up with dry wall dust distributed throughout your home. It is not a bad idea to switch out your HVAC filters on principle after doing drywall work.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:30 AM   #25
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: outside ocala fl
Posts: 3,345
Default

Shopping list for first drywall project?


Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnc View Post
I agree it's usually good to mix the joint compound when you get it from the store, as it's been sitting for weeks or months. However I think mixing it daily is really overkill.
If you look when you open it the next day you will see where the cream is coming to the top and to remix only loosens it up and makes it easier for you.

[QUOTE=sdsester;1194163]Nothing chews up motors like drywall dust so get a shop vac that takes disposable bags.
The biggest problem with a shop vac is the filter plugs up so easy because the drywall dust is so fine, you are almost continously cleaning it. If you don't that's when it burns the motor out.

Quickly re-read the post here and noticed nobody mentioned those interior and exterior finishing tools. They are more or less worthless IMO. Although, I onced a very long and flexible inside corner thing that was rather nice. I found it slowed me down though.
That is called a magic corner and is really made for somewhere there might be a lot of movement. The movement is absorbed by the flexible center and does not crack the mud in the corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailbags View Post
for a bucket about a pint maybe a pint and half of clean water to mix it. I like using the mud that comes in a box just open it up dump it in a clean bucket add a pint of water mix use. but the green lid is good and I use it for every thing. when i do my mud and tape and do my out side corner beads I put in a additive called mud max and I only use that for taping and corner beads. after that it is just The green lid or in my area I use beadex red lid or red box. which is the same thing made by USG.
Mud max is a great product use it all the time. Is kinda like a glue and adds a lot of strength to the mud. Makes it like dura bond.

[QUOTE=Nailbags;1194196]Yes the trimtex inside corner bead nice but you have to use divergant staples and spray adheasive for it to adhere.
Use one or the other don't need to use both.
My first attempt at multi quotes

Last edited by ToolSeeker; 06-03-2013 at 11:35 AM.
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:52 PM   #26
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North Carolina, USA
Posts: 2,696
Default

Shopping list for first drywall project?


Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
If you look when you open it the next day you will see where the cream is coming to the top and to remix only loosens it up and makes it easier for you.
Well obviously if that is happening it's only common sense to mix it. I don't know what kind you're using, but mine definitely does not separate in a day.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:56 PM   #27
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North Carolina, USA
Posts: 2,696
Default

Shopping list for first drywall project?


Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
I would add that most first timers tend to underapply and then try to overwork the mud. I am certainly not suggesting you leave extra on the wall because you will have to sand or wet sponge it off.
I don't know why that's the instinct, but it is. Also, they underestimate how far out to fan it.

Since compound tends to shrink, it's really not a bad idea to leave a slight hump in places. For example over screw heads. You just know it's going to shrink and you're going to have to add more tomorrow! But I guess it's faster to do 3 flat coats, than to guess at how much extra to leave on and then sand off.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:04 PM   #28
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Jacksonville FL
Posts: 248
Default

Shopping list for first drywall project?


Im thinking of getting this for the outside corner bead, I think its what was used in my house originally....
http://www.lowes.com/pd_11822-31705-...r|1&facetInfo=

Seems easy to use.
Arsinek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:16 PM   #29
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: ontario canada
Posts: 675
Default

Shopping list for first drywall project?


i tried those inside corners from trimtex and they kinda suck. i wasnt impressed. you cant beat good old paper tape for inside corners. inside corners that arent square i use ultra flex nocoat 325. i also use nocoat for my outside corners but you need a corner roller so for a diyer without a pile of tools or a big pocket book i dont recommend it for outside corners. you can use the metal corners just check your gap with a drywall knife. i'd recommend http://www.lowes.com/pd_371772-27-31...ductId=3509068
you spray water on the back of it with a spray bottle and you stick it to the corner and check spacing with your knife.
princelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:41 PM   #30
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Jacksonville FL
Posts: 248
Default

Shopping list for first drywall project?


Quote:
Originally Posted by princelake View Post
i tried those inside corners from trimtex and they kinda suck. i wasnt impressed. you cant beat good old paper tape for inside corners. inside corners that arent square i use ultra flex nocoat 325. i also use nocoat for my outside corners but you need a corner roller so for a diyer without a pile of tools or a big pocket book i dont recommend it for outside corners. you can use the metal corners just check your gap with a drywall knife. i'd recommend http://www.lowes.com/pd_371772-27-31...ductId=3509068
you spray water on the back of it with a spray bottle and you stick it to the corner and check spacing with your knife.
When you say check the spacing, what spacing are you referring to?

Arsinek is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cost to Drywall hang/finish...please read, good explanation Firehawk734 Remodeling 63 12-17-2012 09:29 PM
Repair drywall paper before laying tile? amybeth25 Remodeling 4 08-29-2010 05:49 PM
Matching new drywall to old textured drywall pennshaq Drywall & Plaster 1 05-23-2010 09:30 AM
Bathroom drywall question... StevePax Remodeling 9 01-08-2010 02:30 PM
New drywall project - cleanup question ShawnPA Drywall & Plaster 9 08-25-2008 10:04 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.